PDA

View Full Version : The use of HTML coding (and pulling in graphics)

Boink
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
As has been noted in my signature, I use HTML coding or "tags" (with a command that pulls in a very small graphic from my own website database). The graphic, which is an animated GIF file, may be annoying :laugh: , but I'm wondering if they are generally allowed or discouraged. I see that others use them (for, if nothing else, still shots that aren't uploaded to a given forum), and I've made an effort to keep them very small (i.e., under 10K).
Any thoughts on this? <be easy on me> :yesnod:

Adding/editing: I see that even Basil uses such code to paste a video (which is linked) to a post... so maybe that validates such code. He explains the process in that very video! :cooler:

Can I presume that HTML tags for sounds are a no-no?

Basil
03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
As a general matter of forum decorum, animated images in signatures are not totally prohibited, but they are discouraged. As you pointed out, they can be annoying to some folks. Imagine if everyone in every post had an animated signature - it would get pretty busy (and keep in mind many of us here are old and crotchety). The use of limited HTML is ok in places where I have the capability turned on, but use a little discretion when using it. Putting in code that links to sounds that will be heard without warning is definitely a no-no.

Boink
03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
As a general matter of forum decorum, animated images in signatures are not totally prohibited, but they are discouraged. As you pointed out, they can be annoying to some folks. Imagine if everyone in every post had an animated signature - it would get pretty busy (and keep in mind many of us here are old and crotchety). The use of limited HTML is ok in places where I have the capability turned on, but use a little discretion when using it. Putting in code that links to sounds that will be heard without warning is definitely a no-no.

OK, thanks Basil. Much appreciated.