PDA

View Full Version : My new ride, '06 BMW F650

drooartz
02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Sure, it's not British (you mean it's not British Motor Works?) but it is a nice bike. I recently sold my '73 BMW R75/5 -- one, okay two projects too far -- and mentioned to my father-in-law that I was interested in a F650 knowing that he had one and was considering selling it. So he made me an offer I couldn't refuse when I told him I had sold the old R75/5.

He gave it to me.

Well, technically I bought it for $10. And I bought him and my mother-in-law lunch.

If you hadn't noticed, he's a really nice guy. He's trying to simplify as well (with this sale he's down to 2 bikes) so that was part of the plan. Me, I'm just incredibly happy to be back on 2 wheels again. Bike's got 26k miles and is in great shape. Gets 60 mpg, cruises at 80 mph.

Picture is from a camping trip in 2009 when I borrowed the bike. This'll work out well.

TRMark
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the new bike. The Beartooth Beemers Rendezvous takes place near Red Lodge MT. on Aug 16th-19th.

aeronca65t
02-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Wow! Excellent! We were at a silent auction and I bid on one of those a few years ago. Nice bike!

drooartz
02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks, guys. It's a great practical bike, and while no sport bike is still nimble in the twisties. On the way home from that same camping trip pictured above I took the bike over one of my favorite passes and was touching both feet in the twisty bits -- and that's with the big panniers and all my camping gear.

Don't know how many bigger trips I"ll be able to fit in this year due to some work commitments, but at least now I'll be able to sneak away for a couple weekenders.

02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks, guys. It's a great practical bike, and while no sport bike is still nimble in the twisties.

Yeah, and you can't ride a Hyabusa to South America either. :thumbsup: