PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a BSA

vettedog72
02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I never got over selling my '67 mist green Triumph TR6c (that is the way I remember it). It was stock with low pipes, single carb, 650. I had to consecrate my time and energy on school. That was '69 and now 42 or so years later, I want it back. BUT a BSA has caught my eye and I am close to making a deal. I know there are a lot of differences but I would like to hear some one mention the differences between Triumphs and BSA's in general. BTW, the BSA is a '71 or '72 with a '68 tank, red paint, TWO carbs, and SHINY.

SilentUnicorn
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Red and shiny always gets me.....

Check out this forum
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

They can most likely answer your questions better than I.

Single carb is a bit easier to tune. Twin carbs are not too difficult, just different. Bsa's have an integral push rod tube so there are no seals to worry about leaking. Bat are good bikes if maintained.

m

AngliaGT
02-10-2012, 10:11 PM
You do realize that if you buy it,
us Triumph owners won't be able to associate
with your kind ? - at least in public.

- Doug

vagt6
02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
It's a great bike to ride. I've ridden a couple of nicely restored 650s, and a few other bikes of this period.

The one BIG thing that hits you about these 60's Brit bikes is that they're fast, plenty fast to get you into trouble. The flip side of the coin is the BRAKES (or lack thereof). :shocked:

If you're used to riding modern bikes with modern braking systems, the 60's/'70s Brit bikes will take some getting used to. You've really got to anticipate your stopping distance, and become used to bad brake fade and relatively poor stopping power. It's critical to know what your stopping distance is at various speeds, which only comes with practice. When you get the bike sorted properly, go to a parking lot or isolated place and test the brakes extensively. You'll be glad you did later . . . :yesnod:

Riding a nicely restored BSA Lightning or similar bike, it's no wonder why these bikes were so popular and sold by the thousands all over the planet: beautiful styling; powerful; quick, and good handling. Really wonderful riding machines.

Just don't forget about the (bad) brakes. :yesnod: