PDA

View Full Version : Fuse/Earthing Issues 214 Rover

Chris81
12-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi
Does anyone have suggestions for the problem...
The Right Tail light fuse keeps blowing, having replaced the 10amp fuse and checked the earthing all seemed ok. Switching the engine and lights on with the boot down the lights worked. Then I opened the boot and the fuse blew. I repeated the process three times, with the same outcome happening. Now, is this something to do with the number plate board light, as that flickered?

Any tips/suggestions/ideas where to check for connections would be great.

Chris

XR6
12-26-2004, 12:28 AM
It sounds very much like the cable loom to the rear lights is getting caught up in the hinges for the boot.

I guess the number plate is on the boot lid? Maybe there is a loose wire in there which touches to ground when the lid is tilted up?

Geo Hahn
12-26-2004, 01:55 PM
I have a taillight bulb with test leads soldered to it & alligator clips at the ends of the leads. Remove the fuse and clip this in it's place and you will have a reusable 'fuse' for testing. Each time the short occurs instead of blowing the fuse the bulb will light.

You can manipulate the boot and wiring and see exactly when the 'fuse' blows. Since you're working in back you'll either need an assistant or long enough leads that you can keep an eye on the bulb.

Bugeye58
12-26-2004, 02:18 PM
You can also make the same type of tester using a small audible buzzer of the type found in headlight warning systems. This has the advantage of being detectable without being visible.
Jeff

Chris81
12-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Cheers for the info Gents.

Chris

Dave Russell
12-29-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can also make the same type of tester using a small audible buzzer of the type found in headlight warning systems. This has the advantage of being detectable without being visible.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
The Radio Shack #273-059 buzzer works well.
D

Bugeye58
12-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Dave, GM sells a headlight On/Off reminder package, P/N 999373, that comes complete with adapters for both barrel type, and blade type, fuses that works admirably.
Given that Chris is in the UK, I chose to keep my comment generic.
But, the GM part comes with about 4" of wire, terminated with female 1/4" spade terminals, the aforementioned fuse adapters, as well as a piece of two sided tape to attach it to whatever you wish. The buzzer itself measures about .625" X 1.00", and is audible at 50 feet.
Jeff

Dave Russell
12-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Hi Jeff,
The last I knew Radio Shack/Tandy was still operating in the UK. If so, it is likely to be cheaper. If they aren't, GM is a good bet.
D

Bugeye58
12-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Dave,what do I know? I truly wasn't aware that Tandy/RS was in the UK. **** colonial provincial attitude, I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks,
Jeff

Dave Russell
12-30-2004, 04:21 AM
Jeff & Chris,

Do to some strange (to me) business changes, Radio Shack is now being marketed by such places as Cornwall Electronics.

Go here:
http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.uk/
And click on "electrical accessories" then on "buzzers"
A whole page of buzzers comes up.
D