PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help me get oil flow?

TypeRboy
12-16-2004, 12:12 AM
I'm starting to hate this BDA.. The problems I've had fitting what should have been a fairly straight swap into the Cortina have been very depressing. I am finally at the point of fire up, but I am getting no oil flow from the sump to the pump. I checked the oil pump again, inc the bypass valve, and it's fine. I even used the pump off the Cortina block, cause I know it works. The pump simply won't draw oil from the pickup.

I have primed it to death, and spun the motor over at about 500 rpm for long enough to tell nothing is happening. I have 5 liters of oil in the pan, which should be too much.. Next the motor comes out for a pickup inspection ( like maybe it fell off?? )but everything was fine there on assembly. Is there anything i don't know about that could cause blockage between the pump and the sump pickup? Anybody else ever have problems getting oil flow in a new Ford Kent motor ( lotus twink, english ford, Cosworth BDA, they are all basically the same oiling wise..)

Desperate and dumbfounded in Abbotsford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

piman
12-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Hello TypeR,
when you say you have checked the pump, does this include the drive to it?
The other trick I have heard of, but never had to use is to fill the pump with vaseline on start up.

Alec

TypeRboy
12-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Ha ha I like the Vaseline thing, but wouldn't I have to buy it a drink first? The pumps on these are like a distributor drive ( worm gear ) and it is turning.. I am going to try to vacume oil up the inlet on the block, to see if it has a restriction..

Dan_Morrison
12-16-2004, 01:39 PM
I think I know what the problem is. It doesn't like being in the Cortina and would rather find a home in my Europa. So I'll make a quick trip up North and take it off your hands.

Seriously though, did you make sure all the oil gallery plugs are in? I had an Anglia engine I rebuilt and couldn't get pressure. Pulled it out and apart and I'd forgotten to put in one of the oil gallery plugs.

lotus_types
12-16-2004, 02:54 PM
I once had a problem getting oil pressure after fitting a new oil pump, I mangaged to get oil pressure by partly removing the end cover (plate with three bolts) tipping it at the top and filling the gear chamber with oil (with oil can) and quickly refitting the plate. Its a bit messy but it worked for me.
Brian.
64Elan/72Sprint/J.P.S.Europa/Birkin T.Cam Seven

TypeRboy
12-17-2004, 01:22 AM
I couldn't say about the oil plugs, I didn't put the motor together. The fellow who did has done a few and say's he is sure everything was done right. I have put on yet another new pump, and this one draws oil into the filter just fine.. Still no oil pressure, But a slight flow out of the guage line port, which is right down stream from the pump.

I must be missing a plug somewhere, and the oil is just escaping back to the pan. Time to start taking things apart.

I didn't think it would take me all winter to do this motor swap.

RF Thom
12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Check that the pick-up screen is not tight to the inside of the oil pan. If it can't suck then you wont get any oil flow. I've seen it happen before, and puzzled some motor heads. Note on some oil pans that there is four [4] dimples under the pick-up screen - there to ensure that under high demands that the screen does not get sucked tight against the pan and stop the oil flow. Take the pan off and take some measurements, and if accessable add a standoff to the screen.

Check it out, regards Bob