PDA

View Full Version : unknown car question! + berkeley !

KerryStagmer
11-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Ive discovered a few cars in the woods behind my house (rural Maryland) Including a small pickup truck of unknown origins. I'll be taking pics tomorrow.

a few of the cars are brit (ill deal with them in another post!) but the truck has me stumped.

first the wheels are just like Berkeley wheels, what did berkley use? it has a transverse FRONT leaf spring with friction type shocks, back is buried in the dirt too deep to see!

stay tuned for pictures!

Sherlock
11-20-2004, 03:20 AM
So...

Do these vehicles actually belong to you? Come with the property when you purchased it?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KerryStagmer
11-20-2004, 03:21 AM
ok, im thinking very early ford product. E83w pickup maybe? but i think there are a few differences. pics are a must now.

note: its in VERY bad shape

coldplugs
11-20-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

first the wheels are just like Berkeley wheels, what did berkley use? it has a transverse FRONT leaf spring with friction type shocks, back is buried in the dirt too deep to see!

[/ QUOTE ]

Berks used wheels like VW Beetles and early Porsches. Diameter was 12 inches. Berkeley was a caravan (camper) company & most of their suppliers came from that industry rather than the automotive bunch. I think the wheels were unique to Berkeley although probably not made by them.

Anxious to see the pictures!

Steve
11-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Our friend "Coldplugs" is an authority on Berkleys, he might be able to help you out here. Photos would be wonderful!

sammyb
11-20-2004, 02:06 PM
If it is a "microtruck," meaning it is a very very small pickup, it could be an early Subaru -- that was their first product for export.

KerryStagmer
11-20-2004, 11:29 PM
didnt make it into the woods before dark today, however, did tons of online looking and think its a 39-48 ford of some type (english ford) much like a E83W. there are few differences ill make sure i have good pictures of. The berkeley wheels appear to be very early ford wheels (anglia and popular) pre 52 or so

BTW the gent i helped sell the Jomar for has a berkeley in VERY bad condition and Alex is sending him a Jomar nose to graft into the front end (the original is gone, and i do mean GONE)

coldplugs
11-21-2004, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...The berkeley wheels appear to be very early ford wheels (anglia and popular) pre 52 or so ...

[/ QUOTE ]

For reference, here's a Berkeley front wheel. The rear rims are identical but the wheel centers are different (the rears have a large "B" cast into the hub nut).

http://www.coldplugs.com/images/berk13w.jpg