PDA

View Full Version : Wedge A/C

Grady
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Has anyone replaced the TVR a/c with a Vintage Air evaporator? If so,

Which model fit and how bad was the installation and how good the results?

Do the 4 dinky dash vents do the job?

Do you have to use the new controls "as is" or can they be modified to look a bit more period/factory?

Grady

PS/ It's in the upper mid-'90s here today.

mrtvr
06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Grady,
As you know I replaced the original AC on my 1987 280iwith the smallest available Vintage Air unit at the time. My guy locally did the installation (he had done many others on Street Rods over the years so was familiar with the product.) The results, in my opinion, were excellent and the unit was far more efficient and produced far more volume than the original unit. The existing dash vents worked fine for mine. We did have to modify the switch panel around the radio to adapt the Vintage Air controls but other than that, it simply involved relocating a couple of switches.

Marshall

sabot
06-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Marshall, any chance you have any pictures or part numbers?
what all did the install or swap inclued?
thanks tom

Grady
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Marshall - I thought you had but I couldn't find the story - which issue is it in?

Come October, I no longer have to pass (an impossibility) the annual emission test so I'm planning on catching up on some deferred maintenance and then driving a bit more. To hold down the cost, I might do the A/C rough-in myself and address some other dash issues (mirror controls, instrument lights and 4 way flashers, etc.) at the same time.

I'm encouraged to hear that the 4 vents are adequate. Vintage Air now has two evaporator units that might fit. I have spoken to some of the local A/C places but without seeing the car disemboweled, they can't tell much.

Do you think you local a/c guy would be willing to give some long range advice? If so, could you email me his contact info. Thanks Grady

mrtvr
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Tom,
Unfortunately, when I sold that car a couple of years ago, all my records went with it so I don't have that information at my disposal. Let me contact the guy who did the installation and see if he can provide me with the information from his records. To my knowledge, he did not take any photos of the work while it was being done.

Marshall