PDA

View Full Version : Not British, but it is old

drooartz
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I've found the replacement for my now departed Bonneville -- a 1973 BMW R75/5:

http://www.drooartz.com/woad-local/media/tn5/Images/7.jpg

The bike is in Tennessee, and I had a local rider check it out for me. Made a deal with the seller this past weekend, and am currently working on arranging shipping. Will need some work to be a reliable ride, but should be fun.

Besides, bikes have few parts so they take up less room in the garage when you strip them down. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

SilentUnicorn
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Besides, bikes have few parts so they take up less room in the garage when you strip them down. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif
Yea -RIGHT

Nice looking Bike! What does it need done to be ride able? Least it will keep your feet warm. Could add all new meanig to putting your foot in the carb.. :jester:

m

GeeBee1
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Drew:

That is very nice, what work does it need, and how big is the tank?

Pat

drooartz
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
The bike is a runner, just needs basic tuneup (maybe a carb rebuild kit) and some TLC. There's a bit of a dent in the back of the tank near the seat, but that can wait. I'm hoping for fairly minimal outlay to at least get it road legal and running around. Speedo/Tach unit is broken as well (that's common on these bikes) so I'll need to get that sorted.

Tank is 24 liters (6.3 gallons) -- good for well over 200 miles.

Those Bing carbs even look a bit like SUs. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

AngliaGT
06-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Drew,

Nice bike!I've always liked those BMW's.
Be sure to check the tires,&amp; replace them if there's
any questions about their condition.

- Doug

drooartz
06-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Tires were new last year, so should be good to go there. I'll be doing a full once over (and probably some carb cleaning and such) once the bike is here.

Seller got his payment today, so I should have the title in hand in a few days, and the bike by the end of July or so. Shipping across country takes time, but there are deals to be found.

drooartz
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Update: got my title and bill of sale in the mail today, and have shipping arranged for the end of July. Now I just have to be patient. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

leecreek
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Sometimes thats the hardest part.

drooartz
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Luckily I've got a very busy July ahead, and it'll be over before I know it.