PDA

View Full Version : Is "Green" unlucky?

198686d
01-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Hello guys:

Stopped by the motorcycle shop on Saturday to look at the Triumph T100 that I want to buy. They have it with a black and white tank and one with a British racing-green and white tank. The gentleman who owns the shop is an old-timer. (I bought a 68 Beeza Victor from him that he sold out of his shop when it was new. Anyway, I asked which color he liked and he that "Green is an unlucky color for motorcycle". This guy has done it all: trials, enduro, scrambles, cafe, etc. So, you would think there might be something to what he says.

What have you heard?

And, of course I like the green and white one.

thanks,

dave in University City, MO

61 BugEye
04 Mini S
04 Vespa ET4
68 BSA Victor 441

jaegzie
01-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I have heard this quite often never really knew where it came from. Probably the same thing as upside down numbers i.e. 00 and 88 that look the same whether your car is on all four or upside down.

Come to think of it though I have never had a green car

Steve
01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
It was prevalent in the UK. I heard that a green car was unlucky more years ago than I care to remember, and for a long, long time green cars were not available there, as no-one would buy them! There were variations, but no true green cars......

drooartz
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
A somewhat unfortunate superstition for the UK, since their national racing color is green...

Roger
01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
It was prevalent in the UK. I heard that a green car was unlucky more years ago than I care to remember, and for a long, long time green cars were not available there, as no-one would buy them! There were variations, but no true green cars......

Well I never did! I don't doubt it for a minute, I just never heard that before!
When was this, Steve?

Steve
01-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I first heard it in the sixties as a lad. Maybe it was more of a local superstition, based in the Midlands as I was but I definitely heard that green cars weresupposed to be unlucky at an early age. I can think of a few exceptions, but these were sports cars in BRG..... Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I do remember that a green car was a rarity around there, and would have been more noticeable because of that superstition.

Steve
01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Here's a few links:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=2340

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/p/9157/69837.aspx

An exerpt from Wickipedia: "Green is thought to be an unlucky color in British and British-derived cultures,[41] where green cars, wedding dresses, and theater costumes are all the objects of superstition."

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7278.html

So, it wasn't just me...... :wink:

198686d
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
You guys make this Forum great. Sounds like green bikes/cars are "unlucky". I don't believe in "luck" as an active force.
One of the sites above suggested that the color green may have somewhat of a camo effect which could explain an increased number of incidents (accidents?).

I'm an older guy and bit nervous about the Triumph T100 until I get used to it, so I don't think I'll compound things by getting the green one. It's hard to keep your fingers crossed when your wrapping the throtle all the way around.

dave in University City, MO

61 AH BE
04 Vespa ET4
04 Mini S
68 BSA Victor 441

drooartz
01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Get which ever you want, just go ahead and get one and go ride. You won't regret it -- I sure haven't.

Roger
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, now! But I'm still not going to get my Racing Green Elise re-sprayed.

198686d
01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Man, I wouldn't either. What a car!