PDA

View Full Version : Clutch shudder problem in Morris Cooper S

09-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Can any offer any advise on how to fix a continuing clutch shudder problem in a Morris Cooper S. Any responses would be welcome.

Steve
09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
The clutch shudder usually indicates oil contamination on the plate.

vagt6
09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Steve's probably correct. I had the same problem, it was oil on the pressure plate.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will stop. Drive it for awhile, if it's not too bad, and see if it improves.

09-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. There does not seem to be any oil problem however. Any other ideas?

Steve
09-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Could the clutch plate have become glazed? Dumping the clutch for racing-style getaways might do this. From your reply it would seem that you have the thing apart at the moment, if so does it look shiny on part of the plate's face?

Super 7
09-21-2004, 06:56 PM
If it is not oil, then it could be uneven wear on the pressure plate and flywheel.

mongoose
09-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Sorry, guys, I have to disagree with the oil. Oil would tend to make it slip, progressively getting worse; I've been there a few times with an early 850 "wet" crank.
Shuddering most likely caused by glazed flywheel or pressure plate, or even the disc itself. Resurface flyheel, replace pp and clutch disc should cure it.

[ QUOTE ]
Could the clutch plate have become glazed? Does it look shiny on part of the plate's face?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or bluish, orangish, brownish in color? Unevenly around the flywheel? That would indicate local hotspots (no, not swinging nightclubs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )where it's become overheated.

09-23-2004, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. However none of the above mentioned suggestions appear to be a problem. I have a few other theories and I will post what the solution is if I find it. Any other (perhaps more obscure) suggestions would still be welcome.

piman
09-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Hello Ivan,
check the condition of the engine steady bar, its mounting on the bulkhead and the bushes.

regards,
Alec

mongoose
09-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Ah yes, piman might be on to something. Completely forgot about that. I think I might have some extra (new) poly bushings if you need them.

WJM
11-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I had this problem. Changed the steady bar rubbers and all was well. Good luck John