PDA

View Full Version : New to the List

mogman
09-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Hello All
As a new member of the list I think this is where to post, since I don't have any of the above listed Brit cars.

Toy cars currently are 3, two of which are British.

I have a 1972 TVR 2500 which in TVR circles is considered a Transition car. It has the Vixen body with the later M chassis. Supposedly, it is one of 96. Anyway, I found the car locally, back about 1986. The only time I have driven this car was when I brought it home. Fortunately it was not too far, since the exhaust system was perforated and I had just put some plates on it to get it home. Restoration started, all the way down to a bare frame, but has stalled lately. Its not too far from completion, but inertia has gotten in the way.

My other Brit car in the collection is a 1951 Morgan that I bought about 1987. For those of you not familiar with Morgans, it is the "flat-rad" variety. I am the 5th owner and have been able to trace all but the original owner. Records indicate it is the lowest of 3 serial numbered cars sold by Fergus Motors in NY, in 1951, making it the earliest Morgan sold by the east coast distributor. A few Morgans were sold on the west coast, prior to mine. The car was repainted sometime back in the 50's and the paint shows it. I have upgraded the front suspension, replaciing the front chassis crossmember and everything that attaches to it. Found a lot of cracked welds and felt like I wanted to be safe. Had to convert the car back to Morgan steering at the same time. Two years ago, coming back from the Bronte Creek British car show near Hamilton ON, I had a front wheel hub break, just as I was crossing the bridge inot the US. Certainly a scary situation. Fortunately, aside form the broken car, nothing was hurt other than my pride. The front hubs are now replaced with later stronger Morgan front hubs with wider front brakes--certainly an upgrade for today's traffic. I just couldnt convince myself to do disc brakes on a 1951 car. A few more small things to sort out and everything should be good to drive again.

Through this all, my 3rd toy car, continues to soldier on as troublefree as always. It is a 1967 Volvo 210 wagon. And... I guess I cant discuss it on this list.

Related to the cars, I am a collector of British car club badges from around the world, specializing in Morgan, MG and motorsports. My collection now numbers over 850 and I correspond and trade with collecors all over the world.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing from anyother badge collectors out there.

Bob Tescione

Super 7
09-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the list Bob.

Nice cars, too.

Steve
09-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the BCF! I agree, nice cars. There is a place on here to discuss the Volvo, and it is treated with the same respect that other old cars get.......in other words, plenty!

Sherlock
09-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Bob,

Great eclectic collection of cars there...

Love the old Morgan's, love old Volvo's, and TVR's are neat as well.

It's a fun group around here, that loves discussing all sorts of classic cars (even Volvo's sometimes).

MattP
09-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Welcome, Bob, good to have ya!

aeronca65t
09-06-2004, 07:46 AM
What an excellentt selection of cars!
I saw four three-wheel Mogs at the Lime Rock Vintage event this weekend. Most of them will be at the Rolex Watkins Glen vintage event coming up in a few weeks. One of them was damaged in the main race, but it looks fixable.
Quite a while ago here at BCF, I was researching the "Fergus-Morgan" link because I knew a girl in high-school who's Dad owned a "Ferguson". Even back then (1967) I knew it was really a Mog. Eventually, I found out that the dealer (Fergus) re-badgegd some upgraded cars.
There was actually a Volvo 120 wagon in the pits at that LR vintage event too.
I always go to the TVR "Out of the Woodwork" event here in NJ in the Fall. It is the national TVR convention and it is well worth attending even for non-TVR owners like me.
Anyway, welcome!

screenprinter
09-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Welcome Bob - I'am a Bob too and hail originally from Lockport, NY - not too far from you at all - I have ( Or had ) a few relative in Rochester - The Anselmos- who worked for Kodak - Are they still in business or is the digital revolution pounding nails in their coffin one by one?

Nice to meet a fellow Western New Yorker -

Again, Welcome!

Bob MArsh

waltesefalcon
09-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard Bob. Some nice cars you have there, I hope you will enjoy it here as much as the rest of us. If you ever wanted to trade off your TVR or Morgan, I have a lovely little Triumph.

Eric
09-09-2004, 01:33 PM
IIRC, the Volvo has SU carbs on it, so we can consider it an honourary British car, even it it has the character flaw of starting every day!

mogman
09-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Actually, it doesn't have SU's. It came with a single Stromberg 175. Turns out they never put the "Sport" engine in the P210 model. For those that don't know the P210 and there are many who don't, its the wagon("estate") version of the 544.

Bob

78Z
09-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Welcome - nice selection of cars!