PDA

View Full Version : Other makes and models.

Simon TR4a
09-03-2004, 10:39 AM
I have noticed that many of us, myself included, seem not to really appreciate cars other than the one we own.
I recently had to take my TR4a off the road for an extensive restoration, and looked around for something less expensive to drive for a year or two. I looked at MGBs and Spitfires and wound up with a 1979 Spit.
I had no idea how much fun they are to drive, and how different and modern it would feel compared with the TR4. I also drove a friends MGB, a car I haven't driven since the 60's, and enjoyed that as well. Now that I have realised what I was missing I have started thinking how great it would be to have a MK1 Cortina, a Rover 2000 or a Wolseley 6/110, all cars I am nostalgic about from a childhood with English cars. Saloons are not very expensive, either.
Old age must be broadening my horizons.
Simon.

Steve
09-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Good for you! I would love to be able to track down a few of these cars, there must be several in the area that just need to be "discovered"......even thought of placing an ad in a local paper, see if anyone has a car that is taking up space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .......I have found a TR3 in a garage close to my parents' house, covered in junk and old boxes, obviously hasn't moved in a few years. No money or room to store it, that's all.

Super 7
09-03-2004, 01:43 PM
The Fords are way more plentiful in Canada than here it seems. I have been admiring the Triumph 2000 Sedans for a couple years. Very few nice MK I Cortina GT's change hands in the US. I real nice one will be somewhere upwards of $5000 though. Even MK II's are getting up past that for an exceptional one.

Sherlock
09-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Simon...

Wolseley 6/110's - the O'Hara brothers in Toronto have a collection of about six of the Farina 6-cylinder models, they usually have at least one of them at the Bronte Creek show in Oakville, if you can make it to that show keep an eye out.

Rover P6 2000TC - we have our resident expert around here (Rovernut), who also happens to live in southern Ontario not far from Toronto, come to think of it I don't recall seeing many other 2000TC's around Ontario other than the several examples owned by the Rovernut clan, Bill if you're reading this - whatever happened to Tony Day's old 2000TC?

Ford Cortina Mk 1 - there are a surprising number of them around but much rarer than a Mk 2 model, there is one early Mk 1 (pre-air flow) being restored here in Calgary but not for sale unfortunately...

And did someone say Triumph 2000 Mk 1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif One of my favourites! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Actually there are two currently listed on the VTR website for sale, however can't play right now due lack of funds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I know of one in Indianapolis that is likely for sale last time I heard. I will have one of these some day...

My next target is a Vauxhall Victor FB-series station wagon that is available locally here, now to get the money together... taking donations... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif (see signature below)