PDA

View Full Version : Elf?

huck6
08-20-2004, 11:10 AM
I saw what looked like an Elf with a mini bonnet at the Dayton British Car Day. Was this a custom job or did they actually make such a car?

Steve
08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I belive that they actually produced such a vehicle, but only in South Africa.........it could easily be a custom job, but without checking the identification plate it is hard to be sure.

Sherlock
08-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Steve,

You're referring to the Wolseley 1000, and there is one in the States that was privately imported in, I'm not sure where the owner lives though.

For clarification, the Wolseley 1000 was built with the Austin/Morris Mini saloon car body with the front clip of a Wolseley Hornet.

rulle7
08-21-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For clarification, the Wolseley 1000 was built with the Austin/Morris Mini saloon car body with the front clip of a Wolseley Hornet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherlock, seems to me that Steve saw an Elf/Hornet ( Mini with boot ) without the Elf(ish) bonnet.
Thus 'trunk without bonnet', not 'bonnet without trunk'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Whee
10-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Most likely a custom job.

South Africa produced two unusual variants, both were Wolseleys rather than Rileys.
The MK 3 has the Hornet back and the standard Mini front. I'm not aware of any outside of South Africa.
The Wolseley 1000 has the Hornet front and standard Mini rear.
There are two outside of South Africa. I have one of them.

Sherlock
10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Nice rare car you have...

Is yours the one that is documented on the internet, where the owner drove it around the States to different shows and such after it was delivered? I see you mention that there are two of them here now...

We'd all love to see pictures! Of course...

Whee
10-26-2004, 03:16 AM
Yes it's that one that you reference!
Since then it's made a trip Seattle->Illinois and back to MM2004. That was before I purchased it; I drove my other Mini on that trek.