PDA

View Full Version : Morris Minor Question

tony barnhill
08-03-2004, 10:27 PM
I think I want to convert my Minor convertible to front disc brakes & wire wheels....which parts do I use, Midget or Spitfire?

Bugeye58
08-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Welcome home Tony!
My guess would be Sprite parts, as the Sprite steering, etc. is based on the Austin. I know the Minor steering racks are what we used to convert a Sprite to RH drive. The Spit front end is totally different than a Spridget.
Also, the Spit wire wheel splines are unique to the Spit/GT6, as I found when trying to upgrade a set of GT6 wires.
Jeff

Steve
08-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Hiya Tony, welcome back!! Jeff is quite correct, the Spridget is the one to go with. This is a common update in the UK.

piman
08-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Hello Tony,
I did the Sprite\Midget disc brake conversion on my wife's Traveller. The hubs fit straight on and the PCD matches the Minor wheel. I had to fabricate a bracket to mount the calipers and get some fittings to couple the Morris flexible hoses to the calipers. I have not fitted a brake booster either and the set-up has been running fine for about a year.

Alec

tony barnhill
08-04-2004, 10:38 PM
& the wire wheels?

Bugeye58
08-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Tony, wouldn't you just use the Spridget wires? (I'm assuming the bolt on wire adapter style, not the designated wire wheel rear axle and front hubs.)
Jeff

piman
08-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Hello Tony,
I didn't pick up the bit about the wire wheels.
Yes you can use the Spridget wheels using a Spridget front hub and also using a Spridget back axle. The problem is that the Minor runs on 14" wheels and 13" would affect the gearing and, in my opinion, look too small. I also don't know if the offset will match the Minor's, as the steering assembly is completely different.

Alec

tony barnhill
08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
hmmmm....& MGB won't fit on Spridget hubs....I have a '63 Midget that I could use for parts but am thinking a later Spitfire do I can use wire wheels

piman
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Hello Tony,
I think the Spitfire route is not viable. What is the difference between the MGB and Spridget splines? The easy route as far as hubs are concerned is the Spridget one as the hubs will fit straight onto the Minor front stub axle and the rear axle is also the same.

Alec

Super 7
08-06-2004, 03:40 PM
I just picked up a copy of Retro Cars magazine. They have an article on up rating the Morris Minor. They used Ford brakes, and a Ford rear end. They didn't use wires. A neat magazine, but expensive.

Personally, I am not a fan of wire wheels, too hard to clean, too expensive, too heavy, I don't like the splined hubs, either.

That is, of course, just an opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone else.

tony barnhill
08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
looks like my early roll-up window Midget suspension will work along with a set of MGB wire wheels