PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Velox song

hottvr
08-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Just came across a song from English folk singer Billy Bragg called From a Vauxhall Velox on the Back to Basics album if anyone is interested.
Rick Hansen
hansen12@bellsouth.net

Steve
08-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Boy, I remember Billy Bragg, haven't heard of him since I came Stateside. Sherlock will love that information, he has a thing for Vaukhalls!

aeronca65t
08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
I am not familar with Billy Bragg.
There is also a song called "N.S.U." by Creme ( Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton). I'm not sure if it refers to the cars or the motorcycles.
And a song called "Beep Beep" about a "little Nash-Rambler" (Metropolitan) that races a Cadillac.

One of my favorite lines in a car song is:
"You're going to drive me to drinking, if you don't stop driving those HOT ROD LINCOLNS"
(Boy, I'm dating myself!)

Right now the CD player in my car has a Beach Boys mix....it has endless car songs.

Bugeye58
08-03-2004, 08:17 AM
There's the Austin Seven Song, which I have, and my personal favorite, "My MGB-GT", by Richard Thompson.
Here's a link to the lyrics.

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/song_o_matic.asp?id=199

You have to love a song that refers to welding in new sills and a floor pan!

Jeff

Steve
08-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Madness recorded a song in the eighties called "Driving in my car", the lyrics go....."I've been driving in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar". Alexei Sayle (a comedian) also recorded "Hello John got a new motor?" in which "a Mark 3 Ford Cortina" was mentioned......all Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame calibre stuff of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

coldplugs
08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the LP by Paul O'Shea called "Sing a Song of Sports Cars" produced by Riverside way back when. He was a much better driver than singer.

(If you don't know what an "LP" is, you might want to ask mom or dad.)

aeronca65t
08-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I know what LPs are!
In fact, I just remembered that Peter Ustinov made a vinyl album called "The Grand Prix of Gibraltar" featuring his head popping out of a Jag engine compatment.

One of the guys in our club has this and he made us listen to it a while back. It's a comedy album and sort of funny at first, but it might get tedious if you weren't having a few drinks:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000069CIV.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alan Black
08-03-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Madness recorded a song in the eighties called "Driving in my car", the lyrics go....."I've been driving in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar".

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget why "it wasn't quite a Jaguar".... "It was made in fifty-nine, In a factory by the Tyne. It says 'Morris' on the door" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
There you go.....couldn't remember the rest of it!! Actually I have a copy of the Peter Ustinov CD......sent away for it as it is available once again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif