PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

outoway
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Ok, I haven't had a chance to really look too good into this, but my mini is leaking oil out of the distributor?? Not sure exactly why or how. does anyone know if replacing the seals on the distributor would fix this?? or have any other ideas?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

piman
06-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Hello Outoway,
I think that it is worth checking that all the engine breathers are clean, it could be that excessive crankcase pressure is blowing the oil out.

Alec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

ThomP
06-16-2004, 07:48 PM
The oil pressure relief and the oil pipe banjo union are in the same vicinity. Are you sure oil isn't coming from one of those and just leaking onto the dizzy? Or, is the dizzy leak a further symptom of engine blow by as discussed under the dipstick leak question you asked?

outoway
06-18-2004, 12:01 AM
It is actually coming out the bottom side of the dizzy. I got the new dipstick and don't have anymore problems there. I have also checked the only breather that I can find (on the tappet cover) and it is not blocked. still need to check the compression ratio.

Xracer
06-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I suspect it's crankcase pressure blowby. BMC "A" engines need a lot of venting.

Unless it's leaking a lot it's not really a big problem. If it really bothers you, replace the seals on the distributor.

If you own a Mini, you own a car that's gonna leak oil....just consider those spots on the garage floor as your Mini "marking it's territory". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

outoway
06-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Oh, I'm just a bit worried about it. At the moment it is loosing 2 qts in about 40 miles!! I also suspect that it is a ventilation problem as well-- seems to be a bunch of smoke coming out the oil cap-- is there any place that I could add to the ventilation?? So far, it still has pretty good power (at least as much as you could expect from a 998!!), and looking for suggestions till I can save the $$$ to put a 1275 or 1300 in her.

Xracer
06-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, 2 quarts in 40 miles is certainly excessive.

Sounds like you might have a blocked/defective PCV valve.

If you're not too sure what you're doing here....is there a BritCar mechanic anywhere near where you live? Try to find one who works on Sprites/Midgets.....they have basically the same engine as your Mini.

WJM
11-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Smoke coming from rocker? Sounds that you have a blockage. Have you rebult this motor. Regards John.

outoway
11-15-2004, 07:31 PM
I actually found that #2 cylinder was the prob.... it only had(if I remember correctly) 30lbs pressure. So I dropped a cylinder. Easy fix, just install a 1275 A+ out of a metro!!!