PDA

View Full Version : bleeding clutch without results

bardunen
05-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Fitted a new clutch master cylinder to a mini 1000 pre-verto yesterday, changed the hose to the slave cylinder, which is new, an tried to bleed the system. Nothing happens. The pedal stays to the floor, and no clutch oil comes from the bleeding screw. Could the fact that the clevis pins arent new (and that I have put a -thin- sound proof carpet under the pedal (ooops) be the source of my problems ? I mean, carpet and pins make me loose no more than a centimeter...
When bleeding with pressure bleeder, should the pedal be depressed or not ?
Thanks for your help :-)

piman
05-24-2004, 06:03 AM
Hello Bardunen,
if you mean the pedal stays depressed after you take your foot off then it shouldn't. Has the spring broken or is the pedal tight somewhere (misalignment?)?
The pedal should be up to use a pressure bleeder.

Let us know the answer to my first question and we can take it from there.

Alec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

ThomP
05-24-2004, 09:32 AM
That centimeter is important too. Purchase new clevis pins. The one at the pedal can be a pain to replace, but it is worth it; especially if you have added insulation under the carpet. Once you have solved the bleeding problem, if your clutch still doesn't operate as expected, the ball on the release bearing actuating lever is often worn. The best fix is to replace the arm with a new one.

Bleeding the hydraulic system is a two person operation. The bleed screw must be closed when the pedal is to the floor and ready for the "upstroke", otherwise, it will suck air back into the system and nothing will happen. The bleed screw then needs to be re-opened when the pedal is about to be depressed to be effective.

bardunen
05-27-2004, 10:33 AM
thanks Piman and TomP. The pedal spring is okay, pedal returns its normal position by itself. I have carved away the soundproofing carpet, changed clevis pin...an adventure...and now I wait for a new bleeding screw, as it appears that the old one seems not to be really airtight... So now I m Waiting for a new one from minimania :-) Fixing minis in sweden implies a lot of patience :-)

bardunen
06-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Bleeding completed at last ! Had to bleed the master cylinder first, it seems some air got trapped there. Even bleeded at the junction between the fixed and the flexible air lines. By the way Started by using an expensive vacuum bleeder without any result. A cheap pressure bleeder worked much better :-)

ThomP
06-09-2004, 09:17 AM
There's a MiniMania in Sweden? Surley you use MiniSpares in the UK?

bardunen
06-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Well, as we have a 25 procent VAT in sweden, its kind of cheaper for me as a private person to buy from the US than from another EU country... as long as I get the thing shipped by mail, with no custom clearance, err...mmmhhh....