PDA

View Full Version : Hillman Imp converted to Van

78Z
05-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Here's an interesting one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=24789051 05&rd=1

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/d3/04/8d_1_b.JPG
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/d2/72/fe_1.JPG

Sherlock
05-22-2004, 03:01 AM
Actually the factory made those as vans for about three years, but they are rarely seen over here. I'm told there are one or two very rotten Imp vans on Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

aeronca65t
05-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Hmmm...wonder what the "liftover height" over the (rear) engine is? Looks well-done anyway.

Steve
05-22-2004, 11:25 AM
James beat me to it......this was made by the factory. I remember seeing these around, although the Mini van was far more popular. They never had those snazzy wheels as standard though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

waltesefalcon
05-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Thats pretty cool. I'd drive it.

sunbeammadd
05-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Yep, they were available as a passenger version called the Hillman Husky (reviving a name previously used on a Minx-based model) and a commercial version originally called Commer Imp Van. Towards the end of production the Commer name was dropped and it was just Hillman Imp Van.

One of the big problems these days is the tailgates which rot out and are impossible to find. If this has happened then a fibreglass replacement seems to be the only option.

I'd love one but they're like hens teeth in Australia.

One of these features in the film Fahrenheit 451 (based on the Ray Bradbury novel - nothing to do with Michael Moore!!)

Graham
05-23-2004, 01:21 AM
I think you could find a bucket full of hens teeth before you found one of those in Oz (west Oz anyway). I used to work on imps when they were new, and I never saw or heard of any thing like those. Its rather nice though, so if they had been selling them here (Perth) I recon you would have seen them about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock
05-23-2004, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aeronca65T said: Hmmm...wonder what the "liftover height" over the (rear) engine is? Looks well-done anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

These weren't the only rear-engined delivery vans, I have seen a Autobianchi Bianchina based delivery van once(aka dressed up Fiat 500). There seemed to be a reasonable amount of space in that truck, considering the vehicle size. But then in Europe and England there is a class for these smaller trucks. Anyway on the Autobianchi the bottom of the delivery van part was flat with the engine underneath. I suppose the only problem would be if you want to do any engine work with a load in the back

sunbeammadd
05-23-2004, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you could find a bucket full of hens teeth before you found one of those in Oz (west Oz anyway). I used to work on imps when they were new, and I never saw or heard of any thing like those. Its rather nice though, so if they had been selling them here (Perth) I recon you would have seen them about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not there are a couple here in Oz. A guy here in Queensland used to have one of them. The Australian ones most likely all orginated from NZ where Rootes did sell them.

Graham
05-23-2004, 11:49 AM
20 years ago a mate and me used to "race" a much modified Hillman Imp on the local speedway (did OK too), but this van is news to me. Never heard of one. I don't think they could have imported them to the west.
Graham /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif