PDA

View Full Version : If you had a $1500 budget...

drooartz
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Okay, I'll have probably $1500 in bike money handy this spring, barring any unforseen LBC spending (always a possibility). I'm in need of another bike, as I've been without since I sold my last one a year ago.

I've got 3 choices:

1. Get an interesting cheap bike.
2. Keep saving
3. Use the $1500 as a downpayment on something more interesting like a current Triumph Bonneville, my favorite current bike.

Any thoughts? Suggestions for a good inexpensive ride?

<span style="font-style: italic">It's almost spring feeling today, so I've got bikes and LBCs on the brain. It's been a long winter, and it's not quite over yet -- this is but a short reprieve.</span>

AweMan
03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Save yer money Drew, Once I take you Riding the ATV`s you`ll be hooked for life! I can see a nice 4x4 ATV in your future. besides ..... you can use it in the winter to plow snow *SNICKER*
And you`ll have an open invitation to come to East Canyon anytime i`m there and ride with me! *SMILE*
PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST, The invatation is open anyway, even if it is on one of my ATV`s, Bring gas Hahahahahahahahaha! {Just Kidding}
Has been a couple of rather nice unusualy warm days here but WE know it can`t last :lol:
I`m hoping earlier but i`m thinking sometime mid June before we can ride those trails.
Kerry

drooartz
03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I will take you up on the invite to ride one of your ATVs, Kerry. Sounds like a lot of fun.

But I've got to get back on 2 wheels... it's something in my blood. I figure I'll keep saving my money for when I can get the ride I really want.

vagt6
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
WARNING: this answer has nothing to do with British bikes!

Drew, what kind of riding will you mostly do? Steet cruising; highway/Interstate rides; around-town errands; gravel roads; mud, trails???

There are soooo many motorcycles to choose from! When someone asks me what kind of bike to buy, I always ask the question, above, first. Then, choose the bike. That way, you'll enjoy the bike a lot more.

I have a "dual sport" bike that does all of the above (but none of them well!). It's cheap, lots of aftermarket support (Kawasaki made this same model for almost 20 years with no significant changes!) and is essentially bulletproof from a reliability standpoint. Maintenance is easy, too. It's not a powerful or fast bike, but that's not what I want in a motorcycle (if I'm gonna go fast, I want FOUR wheels under me).

Kawa KLR 650. I paid $4000 for this one last year, it's an '03 had about 4,000 miles. The PO modified it for a dirt road trip into Mexico, then decided he needed a BMW! All the mods are essentially new: suspension (progressive fork springs: stiffer rear shock); electrics (upgrading wiring harness w/all blade-type fuses and headlamp relays); brakes (oversize front rotor &amp; SS lines); saddle ($350 Russell); euro switch gear; aluminum ATV handlebars; LED brake light, etc. Pretty much everything upgraded.

I use it mostly for a short commute to work and pleasure riding on gravel roads and secondary roads. Averages about 50 MPG.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m291/vagt6/NewKLR2-1.jpg

Here's a pic of his little brother (on the left), the KLR 250 (sold recently):

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m291/vagt6/KLRduo001.jpg

You can purchase a decent used KLR 650 for about $1,500.

What kind of riding do you like? There's a bike for you out there, waiting . . . :yesnod:

drooartz
03-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Mark -- very nice bike there. My first bike was a KLR 650, bought new in 2000. Rode it for 4 years. Fabulous bike value, and a great first ride. Could do anything and go anywhere. I really liked it, but sold it to try something different. Went to a Kawasaki W650 (shouldn't have sold it), then a Suzuki Vstrom 650. Seems I've got a thing for 650s...

My realistic answer is that the bike I've wanted for a few years now is the modern Triumph Bonneville. I love the looks, and it has the right features for me -- decent handling, and light enough to handle a dirt road now and then. I'm not a fast rider; part of the reason I sold the Vstrom is that it was encouraging me to ride way too fast. It was also ugly. :smile: I just want to be able to ride the great roads near here, do some camping off the bike, and a few longer tours.

This time of year is always hard for me. I've bought all my bikes in early spring. Something about the warming weather gets me in that mood to be back on 2 wheels. I really just need to be patient, even if it means waiting out another riding season. I may still pursue a small dirt bike, as there are lots of good trails near my house.

Hard to think of going another year without a ride, though. That's why I've been thinking of picking up something in the $1500 range, that could be sold in a year to finance the real purchase. Just a tide-me-over, if you will.

vagt6
03-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the "spring fever" thing, Drew! I seem to get it myself. Right now, I'm about to pop over getting another LBC. Sadly, the wee woman convinced me (rightfully so) to wait until our home remodelling project is finished this summer (a new, two car/1 bike garage!). It's about to kill me: I need a LBC roadster NOW!!! :cryin:

The KLR 650 is somewhat of a brick to many folks, but it's capability to do a little of everything, and the price, make it a great bike. For now, it fits my riding style almost perfectly.

You're right, the new Bonneville is an excellent bike. A friend of mine bought one last year and I've ridden it a couple of times. Plenty of power and it looks really nice. A real head-turner. Really nothing like it in today's market.

I'm going to stay with my KLR for awhile. I think my next bike will be a bit more highway-friendly, though. Maybe a used BMW 1200 GS???

Anyway, let us know how your search goes, and good luck with your Spring fever (I hope it's not congtageous). :sick:

tony barnhill
03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
#3!

drooartz
03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Every bike I've had (and my Bugeye) were all bought in the spring. 8 years ago tomorrow I brought the KLR home, in fact.

Now I'm being tempted by a Triumph offer -- great finance rates on 2007 model bikes. The dealer in Las Vegas has the ones I like, only about 6 hours away. Very tempting to be back on a bike this year, rather than waiting for next year. We'll see...

drooartz
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I've decided to go the Bonnie route. I'm working on a deal with the dealer in Las Vegas, and going down to my local dealer today to see what they have.

I've been looking at these bikes since they came out, but always had some excuse as to why I couldn't afford one. I got the I-told-you-so from my wife already -- she knows me too well by now. With LBCs, she knew I'd only be happy with the Bugeye, and with bikes she knows the Bonnie is the one I keep going back to.

tony barnhill
03-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Man, go for it!! I've himhawed around about buying a new Speedmaster since they came out...photos will be required!