PDA

View Full Version : Not a lot of them about

Steve
02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
On my recent visit to the UK, I was struck by how few classic Minis I saw being driven. These things were all over the place at one time, and they haven't been out of production for that long so I wonder why? I saw a couple of rather decrepit examples in driveways or front yards, and one that was being restored in a typical British garage (in other words, TINY!!!!!) but nothing really to speak of, and certainly no earlier cars, by which I mean outside-hinge and sliding-window examples.

rulle7
02-19-2004, 08:16 PM
They're in Japan!
I see at least a couple of Mk1/2 and some Mk3 Minis every single day here in Tokyo.
graemlins/driving.gif

ThomP
02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
There are two on the street I live on and it's only two blocks long! (my neighbor just bought 1!)

They rusted in ME (Mother England)

vagt6
02-20-2004, 10:44 AM
When in Paris last May/June, I saw a large number of LBCs. The most prominent were old Minis, and I saw several per day in the City. Lots of Cooper "S" models, most of which were restored beautifully. Literally TONS of the new Minis were encountered everywhere.

I saw a huge number of the new, 3-wheeled cars (don't remember the make, Maybe Renault?). I also saw several new MGs (gorgeous-wish we had them here), a fair number of old, restored Jags, many old Renaults "Dauphines" (I was reminded of how cool there were) and lots of old Citroens (I got a 165 KPH ride from the airport in a Citroen taxi!). Sadly, I saw no Triumphs anywhere in France.

If I had to drive in Paris (which I don't recommend), I'd drive a Mini. Parking is non-existent and when a space appears, it's very, very small. Fuel costs are astronomical. Perfect environment for a Mini!

Roger
02-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Steve,
I was in London over the Christmas period - Wandsworth to be exact.
They're all there!