PDA

View Full Version : If a Mini isn't unusual enough for you...

Sherlock
02-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Here's a unique Mini-based creation (one of many made). You'll probably either love it or hate it, but Williams Towns did design it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2461212482

aeronca65t
02-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Ouch! I just looked at it, and my eyes are still hurting!

rulle7
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
A plywood box with wooden bumpers!

graemlins/hammer.gif

Graham
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I like it, a more modern Moke.
Does that make me even stranger than they recon ? graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited by: Graham ]</p>

Xracer
02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Yup Graham......it sure does!!! images/icons/grin.gif

Well....I suppose if you put a handle on top, you could use it as a cat carrier.

Graham
02-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Can't help myself is the problem.

When the Moke first cam out people didn't like them much either, they didn't even have doors, how could they possibly be any good but they ended up being accepted for what they were, anyway I need something to take kitty to the vet. graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited by: Graham ]</p>

Sherlock
02-19-2004, 03:21 AM
I can't say I'm crazy about the styling about that Mini-based creation, doesn't look quite right. According to my big Automotive Encyclopedia, William Towns formed a company and built these over about ten years. I don't imagine he sold very many. But for same strange reason I've always admired the Towns-designed Aston Martin Lagonda of the 1980's, another one of his more outrageous designs.

As for the Mini Moke, I like those alot! I've seen a couple of them back in Ontario but they aren't ultra-common in North America. Any similar vehicles from other companies interest me as well - Citroen Mehari, Renault R4 "Plein Air" (never seen one in person), VW Thing, etc...

And, Graham, I've also been accused of being into some pretty strange cars too so join the club graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Graham
02-19-2004, 07:18 AM
I like the Moke too, over the years I have owned two of them, and I just sold a spare parts one to a young bloke in Perth who is into them seriosly.(I think he said he had four) They sold a lot of them out here, and built them here well after they had stopped production in GB. I must admit though they suit our climate a lot better than yours, they are great in the sun but I recon they would freez your socks off in northern US or Canada. They would have sold a few in places like California though wouldn't they. graemlins/yesnod.gif

As for the Towns creation, I recon its a lot better than some of the Jap stuff they are dishing up. The styling doesn't bother me, like early Jeeps and Landrovers, if a piece of bent steel will do the job use it! I dont think it will ever win any styling contests but it was probibaly quite functional. graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Xracer
02-19-2004, 01:20 PM
See.....that's what comes from living on the bottom of the world and being upside-down all the time. All the blood rushes to your head! images/icons/wink.gif

On the other hand, for those of who live in the Northern Hemisphere, and therefore rightside up....what's OUR excuse for being MiniNuts! images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

Graham
02-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Aint no excuse for good taste. images/icons/grin.gif

Ernst Blofeld
03-14-2004, 06:35 PM
In the early Seventies Towns also designed a Mini based called the Minissima. A kind of four seat SMART.

JaredZX3
04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
are Mokes basically utilitarian type vehicles? obviously based off the Mini, but I never actually read much about Mokes, just saw pictures like of this one:

http://www.dpcars.net/mini/md.htm
and
http://www.dpcars.net/westfld/recent.htm

i say "utilitarian" but honestly have no idea, they don't seem to be built to haul things, it basically just looks like a Mini's engine and chassis minus any "insignificant" things like windows and sheet metal images/icons/grin.gif

[ 04-28-2004: Message edited by: JaredZX3 ]</p>

Bruce Bowker
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
There were and I guess still might be a lot of them around the Caribbean. Popular rental vehicle but rusted like crazy. The first Moke I ever saw was on Grand Cayman and I as soon as I got back to New Jersey I checked to see if they were available but as with so many cars, not allowed in.

Certainly would not want one in Alaska. Or anywhere cold but a fun car to have now for summer use.

If I recall , and I am sure some will correct me, they may have been made for military but did not go over that well. So civilian use was more prevelant.

Sherlock
04-28-2004, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> [Mini Moke's] If I recall , and I am sure some will correct me, they may have been made for military but did not go over that well. So civilian use was more prevelant.

<hr></blockquote>

About right... A design by BMC that was supposed to be for military use but the British gov't didn't want it. Assembled in three countries that I'm aware of... England briefly (1964 to 1968), Australia, most famously and for the longest time (1960's to 1982/83), and LHD examples in Portugal (unsure of years they were assembled there). I was just researching some Mini history for an article I've written so that's why I know all those dates.

A lot of them are coming into North America now, as older vehicles that can legally be put on the road, and most if not all of them come over as imports from Australia.

bang bang
04-28-2004, 07:30 PM
If the catholic church had a budget cut back is that what the pope mobile would look like

rovernut
04-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Cmon Its the MONKEEMOBILE but its been sick.......... If it was white..........yes the POPEMOBILE

What a mess........No styling involved at all

Graham
04-29-2004, 03:48 AM
Yes Jared,
They really are a "utilitarian" vehicle. They are only basic body with mini runing gear. Two seats, and most only have pipe framing with a fabric (either canvas or strong vinyl) padded sections to sit on. It's very basic but quite comfortable. We didn't have too much trouble with rust out here when they were new, but as time has gone on they are suffering a fair bit. It's not surprising though, as when they got older most never rated a garage, so the rainwater collected in the body just like a rainwater tank.

A mini without fittings is right. The box sections down both sides make them quite strong but they never wasted anything on luxury fittings. They did however fit small table top trays with drop sides on to some of them out here, they just bolted onto the body behind the seating position, and hung out over the rear section of the body. Their load carrying capacity was'nt high, as they only have mini rubber cone suspension on the rear, but they sold quite a lot for light delivery work around town, and some for light agricultural use.

When they were new here back in the 70s they were the last vehicle on the Australian market available for under $2000 ($A) Made as cheap as possible, but in our climate one heck of a lot of fun to get around in. graemlins/cheers.gif

rloewy
06-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Ho about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=6472&amp;item=24821758 38&amp;rd=1

If I did not just buy a new old car, I would have been very tempted.

Ron.