PDA

View Full Version : Wolseley 1000

Sherlock
01-31-2004, 04:10 AM
Here's a very interesting South African creation, I'm just innocently googling around researching up on Mini's for an article I'm writing, and just keep finding really interesting websites and cars.

Read on, but basically a Mini saloon with the Wolseley Hornet front grille, only built briefly...

Wolseley 1000 pictures (http://www.minimania.com/MM/Wolseley_Across_America_1___What_s_this_all_about_ .htm)

Wolseley 1000 history (http://www.minimania.com/MM/Wolseley_Across_America_3__MORE_WOLSELEY_1000_DETA ILS.htm)

ThomP
01-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Chuck Heleker wrote that article you have linked to. If you get the chance, talk to him. He is an EXCELLENT Mini resource. In addition to the Wosley, He owns 13 (give or take) other unique Minis. He once owned the Wildgoose I have photographed and listed here on another thread. He also owns one of the Heinz 57 cars that were contest prizes during the Mini popularity peak.

Sherlock
01-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Actually a guy up in Edmonton here (Marcel Chichak) purchased one of the Wolseley Hornet Crayford convertibles, he bought his a couple of years ago out of Seattle I think.

Haven't seen his car yet, or any of the rest of his impressive collection. His Crayford is currently awaiting restoration.

ThomP
02-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Ask Marcel if his Crayford came from Chuck, He lives in Seattle!

Sherlock
02-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Thom,

Would that be Chuck who owned an MG Metro Group 4 race car at the time? I don't communicate much, if at all, with Marcel specifically but do know that he has some neat cars up there. I do know that Marcel's car is known to the guys who run the Hornet Crayford registry.

ThomP
02-02-2004, 10:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no, no MG Metros, just Minis, but I could be wrong. I've never had a reason to ask Mr. Heleker if he had any Metros.

Sherlock
02-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Anyway, to check out Marcel's nice collection of Mini's (plus Wolseley Crayford), Austin 1800 "Land Crab", and Ford Cortina rally car.

Great site to surf around:

http://www.planet.eon.net/~chichm/

Xracer
02-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Yep, Sherlock....Marcel certainly does have some nice Minis....and I've got one of 'em.

I took a trip up to Edmonton in July '99, and his former "Mr. Dressup" is now my "Dudley DoRight".

Let me tell you, driving a Mini 1500 miles (to Mini-Sota) over the endless Canadian prairies with the temp. over 90F all the way was a real endurance run.

Sherlock
02-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey XRacer,

Back here in Alberta now since the fall, haven't had the chance to meet Marcel yet but I'm sure it will happen sometime, perhaps into the spring when old cars reappear from garages? Actually we both have something in common now, Cortina Mk II ownership.

Meantime, in the odd e-mail messages swapped back and forth he seems like a great guy. Actually, when I was still back in Ontario, I saw a painting someone had done of one of his Mini's during a rally (took a picture of it and sent him the picture), he said he had never seen the painting before and it was huge too!