PDA

View Full Version : Spit or trolley?

Angusdog
01-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Okay, got a van I need to do major welding and paint on. I've got the design for trolleys that bolt on where the subframes bolt on, but the idea of a spit or rotisserie appeals, especially for painting.

I know it's possible to put a bar right through a saloon, but a van is a bit more effort due to the open space in the load area.

I've got some ideas about design, but keen to hear if anyone else has had experience.

Either post here or send me a PM. And thanks heaps in advance.

Xracer
01-27-2004, 06:24 PM
A spit is almost a necessity when doing any welding on the bottom of a Mini...floor panels, rocker panels, etc.

Our club has one that we loan around....works fine on the saloons, but unfortunately, won't work on vans or pickups.

I once saw a website of a guy in Canada who stripped out his van.....took out the interior, engine/transmission, subframes, etc.....and rolled it onto a couple of old mattresses to work on the bottom. It worked!

Angusdog
01-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, rolling sounds good (has been suggested by a club member in Wellington), but I'd need (I think) to take care about distoring the shell - with the doors off, wouldn't there be the chance of skewing the roof sideways? There's not a lot of "meat" in the load space...

Steve
01-28-2004, 02:08 AM
I have seen the rolling-onto-mattress technique, albeit on an MGB GT. I really worked well. I would imagine that if you leave the rear doors on and kee them closed, then you would be alright putting it onto its side in this way, just dont put any strain on the upper area of the side.