PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

outoway
01-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Ok, just wanted to get an opinion. I know I need to use 20w50 oil when I do the Oil change, but what about dino oil or synthetic??

Stephen

Steve
01-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't see synthetic as being a problem, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions on the subject.

ThomP
01-02-2004, 04:38 AM
This has been discussed elsewhere on the web (ie MiniMania site for one). The opinion there was that synthetic wasn't worth the money, because of oil loss between oil changes. An oil change with Dino oil is ~10.00 with a new filter, while a change with synthetic is ~$27.00.

I used to agree with this opinion, however I'm now swaying the other way. All the photos I see of "spent" Mini engines show wear from poor or insufficient oil on moving surfaces. If synthetic oil is really better at maintaing a film of protection, then these older engines need it more than the new ones. If $17.00 per oil change keeps the rocker shafs rocking, the thrust washers from wearing and prevents the trannie from howling. I think it's money well spent.

vagt6
01-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Everyone seems to have an opinion on synthetic oil, so I asked professional mechanics who work on these cars for a living.

John Kippling, former owner of Triumph Tune in England and a noted Triumph guru, said using a good grade synthetic is "brainless". That is, he meant there's nothing to lose by going with synthetic due to it's greater durability and ability to stand higher temperatures for longer periods of time. It's superior in many categories.

So I put Mobil 1 synthetic in my Ford Taurus SHO, my '70 302 V/8 Mustang and my GT6. Sadly, after about 3 months the only difference I note is in my wallet.

When in doubt, go with the pros.

Xracer
01-05-2004, 01:09 PM
I've heard that while synthetic oils would be fine for the engine, they're not good for the transmission.

Something about breaking down under shear loads.

ThomP
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Now that you mention it. I read that somewhere too. The supposition was that the synthetics consisted of long chain polomers and the transmission thrashing "chopped" them up. Glad I haven't gone out for that oil change from 20-50 yet!

Thanks for reminding me. Now If could just remember where I read that.....