PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mini Doldrums.......

Xracer
11-17-2003, 08:22 PM
OK Basil....you wanted some more activity, so let's see if this works.

Well, winter has arrived in The Great White North (aka, Mini-Sota, the Land of Lutefisk).

We've had our first snow, and the DOT has spread it's usual gobs of salt....so most of our Minis (and many of our MINIs) have gone into hibernation until spring.

For those of you who put their Minis into winter storage.....what do you do to alleviate the Dreaded Winter Mini Withdrawl Symptoms?????

Sherlock
11-18-2003, 03:01 AM
Well,

Winter has struck up here in the great white north, although I did see one Mini still on the road in Calgary, I saw it parked on a street in one our local industrial parks but it is obviously still in use.

And I know one of our Saloon Car Club members out in the land of salt (aka Sarnia, Ontario) runs his Mini all winter, and saves his 1968 Wolseley 6/110 for summer driving only.

I do know that neither of the two Mini's mentioned are in pristine condition so they can get away with it to some degree.

aeronca65t
11-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Speaking of salt and rust, my "Unit 512" (with "styling" that Sir Alec Issigonis would surely have approved of) lived most of it's rolling life toiling for the FDNY in Manhattan (where salt is used by the tons).
Not a bit of rust on the body anywhere....of course it helps when the body is built from 1/8" aluminum.
I use a power-washer on the underside of my other cars several times each winter. The Spridget will stay indoors.
Where I live, they tend to use sand more than salt...is that what's used in Western Canada?

http://www.ccm.edu/engtech/stepvan.jpg

Sherlock
11-18-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Aeronca65T said: Where I live, they tend to use sand more than salt...is that what's used in Western Canada?
<hr></blockquote>

Out west it used to be just about 100% sand only on the roads (many "western" classics end up in Ontario as bodies on them tend to be more solid), but with winters being slightly warmer in recent years there is a little more salt sneaking into the mix.

The other thing from my time out in Ontario is that everyone oils their cars to help protect against rust sneaking into the frame underneath and other hidden spots.

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Xracer
11-18-2003, 01:32 PM
"Everyone oils their cars to help protect against rust sneaking into the frame underneath and other hidden spots."

Well, Minis kinda do that naturally, all by themselves....the front subframe never rusts, but the rest of our li'l beasties sure do!

aeronca65t
11-18-2003, 02:43 PM
I do recall a friend who lived in New Hampshire who had his car "oiled" once a year. I recall that they just sprayed on used motor oil.
A colleague I work with here in NJ drives his '80 MGB every day. He has it "Waxoyled" once a year. Seems to work.

Sherlock
11-18-2003, 08:33 PM
When I was in Ontario,

All the rust-proofing shops charged big bucks for the priviledge of having them oil your car, anything from about $100 up, I was told that anyone who wanted their car to last for a long time had this done every year... maybe they were just fleecing all of us Ontarians...

GTsRFine
11-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi Mini-fans - just wanted to report a Mini sighting here in Augusta, GA. I believe it was an 1100, red body with a Union Jack on the roof. Parked at Sherwin-Williams paint store. The store manager owns it and drives it daily, throughout these mild (ahem) Georgia winters and hot summers.

Xracer
11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Ya really had to do that....didn't ya? Ya really had to tell all of us northerners about those warm climates where ya can run Minis all year 'round.

I guess some people are just incredibly cruel... images/icons/grin.gif

GTsRFine
11-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Summer down here is cruel to those without air conditioning. I read the posts of pleasant evening drives in August and have similar thoughts but in reverse.

tony adams
11-22-2003, 06:03 AM
The weather??
In this neck of the woods the dys are starting to get to a lovley average of 18-25 digree,celcus,so it is out for night tripping & watch the sunset on what can be lovley in a Mini

Xracer
11-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah Tony....but you guys on the bottom of the world are driving upside down.

How do you keep all of those oil drips from collecting on the underside of your bonnet? images/icons/grin.gif

thegoodbeamer
11-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Xracer.
You are still south of here.I don't know what you are complaining about the weather.I like winter.at least we can go skiing and thats not an option when we can drive in the summertime.
Yeah I know you get dumped on with the white stuff.Did you get some this weekend? coolgleam.gif sunny and dry here but cool.

Xracer
11-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Yeah, Beamer.....we're gettin' dumped on right now. Got about 6" already (don't know what that is in that Canadian centimeter stuff), and it's supposed to snow all day today and all day tomorrow.

Anyway, my Mini, "Dudley DoRight" is snoozing out in the garage, curled up in his car cover. He's content until spring....but I'm going thru Mini Withdrawl Symptoms. images/icons/confused.gif

thegoodbeamer
11-24-2003, 10:42 AM
xracer.
6" and more coming is enough wherever one is.We have virtually no snow left as it melted about 10 days ago but it is minus 4F this AM. coolgleam.gif But every day is sunny.Not neccessarily the weather. graemlins/canpatriot.gif

tony barnhill
11-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Well, yesterday in north Alabama I was out in the MG with top down having "fun in the sun"...it raied all night & the temperature has dropped to 37F this morning....D@MN!

Xracer
11-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Geez, Tony! 37F is considered tee shirt weather here in Mini-Sota. images/icons/tongue.gif

thegoodbeamer
11-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Tony.
I have to agree with Xracer.Man 37F is pretty nice and it would be top down driving for sure.

tony barnhill
11-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey, guys...when I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska )F was tee shirt weather....'ceptin' there's lots of humidity here in north AL & 37F just feels colder....whine over!

thegoodbeamer
11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Tony
You don't live there now Tony.I think memory improves things as more time goes by. graemlins/violin.gif

tony barnhill
11-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Probably true, good beam...that's why I'm heading back up in the Spring...if I decide not to winter over, I'll be in Winnipeg in September....wanna drink a beer & take our LBC's out for a run?

rulle7
11-25-2003, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by thegoodbeamer:
Tony
You don't live there now Tony.I think memory improves things as more time goes by. graemlins/violin.gif <hr></blockquote>
As a born and bred Swede I can attest to that.
Stockholm being on about the same latitude as Anchorage, I'm always shocked stiff by the NASTY weather/temperature during my all too few winter visits.
How I managed to drive a '76 Mini all year for many years I will never know.
All I know is that it was just fine, skipping over snow drifts when Volvos got stuck...

graemlins/driving.gif

thegoodbeamer
11-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Tony.
YOU BET.
I'm looking forward to that.We'll plan a barbacue for then. graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill
11-25-2003, 09:56 AM
I'll just need to know how to link up wth you!

Xracer
11-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Hey rulle.....where can you get Lutefisk in Japan?

Next time you're in the States, c'mon up to Mini-Sota. You'll feel right at home.....we've probably got more Swedes than in Stockholm. images/icons/wink.gif

thegoodbeamer
11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Tony.
I sent you an email regarding plans.

thegoodbeamer
11-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Xracer.
You have the swedes and we have all the icelanders[aka vikings] at Gimili.Great festival in summer.

Bugeye58
11-25-2003, 07:23 PM
And while you're at Gimli, you can watch a Boeing 737 chase the Icelanders down the back straight!
Jeff (old enough to remember the "Gimli Glider".)

rulle7
11-25-2003, 08:49 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Xracer:
Hey rulle.....where can you get Lutefisk in Japan?

Next time you're in the States, c'mon up to Mini-Sota. You'll feel right at home.....we've probably got more Swedes than in Stockholm. images/icons/wink.gif <hr></blockquote>
Lutfisk in Japan? Haven't looked, but they've got more fish of more kinds than I can shake a stick at, ya, for sure. graemlins/yesnod.gif
As far as winter prepping my Minis, well I'm here and they're there (one '76 Mini with a 1300 engine in Sweden and one '69 Mini with a Pontiac Firefly Turbo engine in Ontario )
The '69 in Ontario is currently undergoing some needed welding and front end work.
Can't wait to give her a fresh coat of paint ( Old
English white/black roof ), put her on the road and take her for a well needed spin. graemlins/driving.gif
I'll add Mini-sota to my itinerary. graemlins/cheers.gif
Happy winter Mini-ing everybody!
Ho,Ho,Ho (insert Santa gremlin here)

thegoodbeamer
11-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Tony.
Email won't go.Sent PM to you just now.

tony barnhill
11-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Got it...putting you in address book...see you in Winnipeg!

mongoose
02-29-2004, 06:54 PM
What I'm doing to alleviate the winter doldrums is building a new motor.