PDA

View Full Version : Help or Upgrades for new MINI's? or Classics?

Larry Kronemeyer
10-01-2003, 12:17 AM

Larry Kronemeyer
10-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Been sluggish for a while, thought someone would like to compare or use some help!
Larry

RCL
10-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Hi Larry...just curious; what oil do you recommend or what do most folks use in their Minis

Thanks,

Rick

Larry Kronemeyer
10-04-2003, 01:52 AM
BMW recommends 5/30 or 5/40 High Performance Synthetic. I just did a change at 4500 miles with 5/30 Castrol Syntec. The Cooper S has a molding around the Supercharger that is imbossed with MINI Reccomends Castrol. I have used Castrol products pretty exclusively for the last 20 years in my British cars. I had problems in my Ford Van 302 one time on another oil and switched to Castrol and never looked back. AMSOIL is another good Synthetic that is used on the race circuit pretty much. I used stock BMW MINI filter this time, I'll probably switch to K & N after the next track session.
Larry

Larry Kronemeyer
10-04-2003, 02:08 AM
RCL: My MINI is a 2003, I see by your profile , that you have a 71. I would think a 10/40 regular oil would be a better choice for the older Mini's. Maybe 20/50 in hot weather, I think some use a straight weight 30 in the older ones. Your tranny is lubed at the same time so a heavier SAE will help keep it lubed and cooler. If you don't experience any leaks a Synthetic will work fine. Any owners of classics have a prefernce to grade of oil??
Larry

Steve
10-06-2003, 10:03 AM
From my Mini-driving days, I remember using 20/50.

t8nwa
10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
From my GT6 day, I also used 20W50. That was because most of the lower viscousity oils then were not too good at temp. Today, the synthetics are great and not too badly priced, so that it makes sense to use them. You could also go with a Syn-blend to save a little $ but there is always a big debate about them.

BTW, the MINI dealers have the best price for synthetic oil surprisingly enough. $3.87/qt if I remember right.

Xracer
10-07-2003, 10:21 AM
For older Minis, 20w-50 is generally preferred.

As Larry says, the engine doesn't really need that heavy an oil, but the transmission does....and since the transmission runs in the oil sump, 20w-50 works well. I use Castrol, but any quality oil will do.

Here in the Great White North, the heavier oil isn't a problem, since most of us put our Minis into hibernation during the winter (too much salt on the roads).

Synthetics are fine for the engine, but I'm not sure how good they'd be for the transmission.

RCL
10-18-2003, 01:56 AM
Larry, Xracer, Steve and t8nwa;

Thanks for the advice....sorry for the tardy reply...been traveling a lotlately. I changed over to Castrol 20-50 when I first got the mini.....always used Castrol in my Audi and Volvo's....looks like I'm in good company!

Thanks guys!

RCL