PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper clutch problem

MitchellG
05-14-2003, 04:44 AM
Hope someone else out there has run into this same problem and can maybe help me.

I stored my 1999 Mini Cooper in the garage over the winter for 6 months until the start of April this year. When I took it out again I noticed the cluth fluid was only lasting two days then needing to be refilled. To cut a very long story down to a long story I discoved the rubber seals on the clutch master cylnder were cracked and leaking clutch fluid into the drivers foot well.

To fix the problem I removed the clutch master cylnder, dismantled it, cleaned it and bought brand new replacement rubber seals for it.

After refiting my refurbished master cylnder I filled it up with clutch fluid and tried to bleed the system, but after 30 mins of pumping the clutch pedal with the bleed screw turned open in the engine bay there is still no resistance from the clutch pedal!!

The bleed screw did spit out some fluid but whenever the clutch pedal is pressed down air blows out the hole in the middle of the screw and when the clutch pedal is released it sucks air back in again so I'm getting nowhere fast.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong here, but I just don't know what. Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks for any help or words of support!

aeronca65t
05-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Be sure the clutch master cylinder is full with clean fresh fluid and keep an eye on it....it has a small capacity.

Have a friend pump the clutch pedal up and down several times and then push down the clutch pedal and hold it down. Loosen the bleed screw for a moment...and then tighten it back up......then your friend can let the clutch pedal back up.

Wait a moment and, once again, have your friend pump the pedal up and down several times....and then hold it down. Loosen the bleed screw for a moment...and then tighten it back up......then your friend can let the clutch pedal back up.

Repeat this process until the pedal starts to "firm up".

Some folks like to place clear plastic (fuel-proof) tube over the bleeder nipple and submerge the other end of the plastic tube in a container of brake fluid. This can improve the process a bit, and is a bit less messy...but is not absolutely required.

There are brake bleeding devices to assist this process, but I have never needed them.

G'luck and welcome. Let us know how you've made out.

Gary Pope
05-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Going by your message (I may be wrong), but you can not pump the clutch with the bleed nipple open as you will be sucking air in and out infinately. In other words it will never get air out.

I recommend that you push the pedal down slowly with the nipple open and hold the peddle down.
Close the nipple and repeat until resistance is felt.

I use a self bleeder kit that allows one to keep the nipple open .. but just press down the pedal slowly. graemlins/savewave.gif