PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Minis

Joel Simmons
05-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Aloha,

I saw that GoMini.com makes Minis with Honda VTEC engines in them. What is the general opinion on this hybrid? Cool and modern? No soul? Too easy?

78Z
05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
They look pretty nice to me. I'd rather one of those than a New MINI

[ 05-07-2003: Message edited by: 78Z ]</p>

Joel Simmons
05-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Aloha,

Yes, they do look quite nice. Apparently, the front-end is extended by 19mm, which doesn't seem to be too noticeable. However, the price is noticeable...starting at $20K+.

The new MINI seems to be the thorn-in-the-side of the Classic Mini world. Over at minimania.com, there are a lot of militant Mini owners organizing to do battle against the MINI. images/icons/shocked.gif

graemlins/cheers.gif

huck6
05-07-2003, 04:46 PM
I can't help but wonder if the Vtec isn't over kill. The classic mini looses some of its charm when it get's all muscled-up, IMHO. But then, I am not a racer and would prefer to go slower and be seen than to go faster and be chased.

Of course, being a 30 something dad might have something to do with my caution as well. graemlins/square.gif

Joel Simmons
05-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Aloha,

Perhaps a VTEC is a bit overkill, but those engines have a beautiful whine to them at 7K RPM+.

I don't know if I could justify the price. What is the going price for the "average" Mini?

rulle7
05-08-2003, 06:30 PM
If you think VTECH is a tad too much you might be
interested in what my Mini has under the wee bonnet. A Chevy Sprint Turbo ( Pontiac Firefly Turbo in Canada). No extensions needed, though the turbo fouls the grill a bit. All the power you need, 5 speed tranny and 'modern' reliability.

huck6
05-09-2003, 01:32 PM
I have seen some nice "drivers" with the 1275 and even 1300 engines in them going for around $8 large and they seem pretty quick for around town. If you want a full Cooper S replica, it will cost more.

I would assume that if you put a few more horses under the bonnet that the chassis and suspension will need quite a bit of tightening if it was not originally spec'ed out for that engine. Seems to be an issue with the Alpine when folks want to convert them into a Tiger (Algires) by dropping in the larger engines. Of course these concern a huge jump in horsepower.

Joel Simmons
05-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Alohas,

Yeah, I've noticed that most of the Minis on Hemmings.com or even advertised at minimania.com seem to be asking a hefty price. $8k-$12k seems to be the ball-park.

I have another question to ask, but it probably belongs in the "Which Mini is which?" thread, so I'll ask it over there as well.

I just bought a copy of Mini World magazine, great stuff. However, I had no clue that they kept making classic Minis well into the 90's. Do they STILL make the classic version in the UK?

Anyway, I was asking what the differences were between Austin Minis and Morris Minis, with the explanation being: its like a Dodge and Plymouth Neon, same car, different badges. Coopers = hopped-up version.

So...what the heck is a Mini Mayfair, Mini Flame, Mini City, Mini 1000, Mini Sportspack, Mini...Mini...aaaaaaahhhhhh!!! graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/crazyeyes.gif graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I'm going nuts trying to figure out which model is which! My general assumption is that, for us here in the US, we want 60's or early 70's Minis so that we can avoid smog checks and the like. So, do these older Minis have the ability to be retro-fit with newer classic Mini hardware? Are there any major structural differences? Any surprises?

Okay...returning to sanity... graemlins/thirsty.gif

raysmuckles
07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
hey guys,

i am a uk mini owner who has stumbled on this site....

there are a lot of VTEC converted motors over here, with several companies providing kits.

try www.hybrid-mini.co.uk (http://www.hybrid-mini.co.uk) to see true british lunacy in action....

dave m