PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing about owning a new S

t8nwa
09-10-2002, 05:26 PM
1200 miles!!! Got my Red S saturday and it is killing me trying to keep from playing! It is like torture keep the car under 4500 RPM for the break in period.

BTW, it cruises REALLY nice at 80MPH. Poked it once to 90 and seemed to like that too. But, I was afraid the local authorities would not appreciate it.

graemlins/cheers.gif

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: t8nwa ]</p>

slewi
09-12-2002, 04:55 AM
I thought the modern thinking on Running In was to use all the revs but in a controlled manner, ie dont thrash it.

Have fun anyway images/icons/grin.gif

JBsC5
09-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Your sooo lucky! That Mini with the supercharger is very hot! I see all the owners with big smiles on thier faces...

Supercharged or not...doesn't matter..

They are all great yet if you've got that 163hp beast..you must be going out of your mind trying to hold back..!!!

Congratulations..

Pete Nevius
10-03-2002, 11:46 PM
It was definitely hard getting through the 1200 mile break-in period without over-revving the engine or opening up the throttle all the way... But once you're there, it's pure fun all the time!

(1500 miles and counting...)

John Davis
10-24-2002, 01:20 PM
Im a police pursuit driving instructor. Just test drove a mini s at portland international raceway last week. All I can say is O MY GOD. There is not a police cruser around that will catch this thing. 123 mph on the front straight 122 on the back. The numbers are low because I had to make a corner. One of the best handling cars Ive ever driven. Just remember boys, YOU CANT OUTRUN MOTOROLA.

Steve
10-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Hi John, I agree with you. I had been telling my police officer friends about the old Mini Cooper 'S', and how in a sub-division or on twisty roads it would leave a police cruiser for dead, and they would never believe me! Now there's one that will burn them on a straightaway. graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I had police high-speed and training myself (in the UK) and I agree about being unable to outrun Motorola, but if you lose sight of the target and didn't get a look at the licence plate.............

John Davis
10-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Just dont forget the EYE IN THE SKY

TypeRboy
11-05-2002, 11:33 PM
I'm all for full revs with cool downs in between blasts to break in a new motor.. That's my motus operandi.. And never had a prematurely worn out motor.. Over 300K on my last two cars ( both with origional clutches even ) and 45K on my Type R with no oil consumption to speak of ( which is very good not just for the mileage but for these motors in general )

JBsC5
11-10-2002, 01:54 AM
How many miles on that car now?

U still enjoying every minute..

Great car..truly an icon on the american highways and byways..

TypeRboy
11-12-2002, 12:15 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JBsC5:
How many miles on that car now?

U still enjoying every minute..

Great car..truly an icon on the american highways and byways..<hr></blockquote>

Umm How many miles on whose car? ( Sorry not sure who you are asking...)

graemlins/thirsty.gif

JBsC5
11-14-2002, 12:55 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Nevius:
It was definitely hard getting through the 1200 mile break-in period without over-revving the engine or opening up the throttle all the way... But once you're there, it's pure fun all the time!

(1500 miles and counting...)<hr></blockquote>

t8nwa
11-26-2002, 02:26 AM
4000 miles and counting now! Great car. Few niggles besides GIVE ME MY MISSING TOGGLE! Seems BMW decided not give the US/Canada market rear fogs. Which is somewhat OK, but they took the toggle with them leaving a ugly void in the toggle bank on a fully spec'ed car.

BTW, I personally do not buy the 0-60 in 7.5 that some are claiming. Even the official 6.9 seems a little off. My previous car was 7.2 and this feels at lot faster and I am going ALOT faster at the same point on the on ramps!

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: t8nwa ]</p>

Steve
11-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Any tickets yet? images/icons/grin.gif Sounds like a very high fun factor, don't tell the wife, she wants a Cooper 'S' when her current lease is up, if she knew what it can do she might go for something a little "tamer". Tell you what, she can have my Passat.............. images/icons/grin.gif

Jerry
11-26-2002, 01:50 PM
I read the various articles on the car and they implied that the suspension makes it a rough ride. Can you elaborate? We went to a Mini car show at Mini Mania about 2 months ago and there was a new Cooper in almost every color. I decided that I liked the RED or Yellow best.

jerry

zanzibar
11-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Check this out for a MINI paint scheme. This car was at Mini Meet East in Charleston, SC. The owner customized the interior in black and yellow to match. It's a beautiful car...name is Killer Bee.
http://miniportal.ca/members/pics/95_KillerBee.JPG

t8nwa
12-02-2002, 05:27 PM
tickets?!?! Only when I was not paying attention. There is no way to do 25MPH with the car in 4th gear without idling. Drop it in ONE time and they were there ready! %$@&!!!! I find now that I am judging my speed with the tach than the speedo now. 3000 = 72MPH in 6th. Must keep it at about 2800RPM for the locals to leave me alone on the 60MPH interstate.

Suspension to ME is not harsh. Compared to Buick, it is harsh. Compared to my old car that had Eibach Proline springs, it is soft!