PDA

View Full Version : WORLD'S EASIEST QUIZ

racing girl
08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Something to tax your brains this weekend??

Passing requires 4 correct answers, which are displayed below;

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?

2) Which country makes Panama hats?

3) From which animal do we get catgut?

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?

7) What was King George VI's first name?

8) What colour is a purple finch?

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

10) What is the colour of the black box in a commercial airplane?

All done?

Check your answers below.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?
*116 years

2) Which country makes Panama hats?
*Ecuador

3) From which animal do we get cat gut?
*Sheep and Horses

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?
*November

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
*Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?
*Dogs

7) What was King George VI's first name?
*Albert

8) What colour is a purple finch?
*Crimson

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?
*New Zealand

10) What is the colour of the black box in a commercial airplane?
*Orange, of course.

Soooo, how many did you get right????

RG graemlins/angel.gif

aeronca65t
08-21-2003, 11:59 AM
One right (the "orange box").....jeeeeeesss!

Note: modern "catgut" is actually a sythetic polymer....but I still guessed that the original came from felines.

Basil
08-21-2003, 12:08 PM
I must be a genius! I got three right! (the 100 years war I had heard before was not 100 years, catgut not being made from cats is something I've always known, but not sure where I learned it, and anyone who ever watches TV news knows that black boxes are orange.

Basil

Ed Wynne
08-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Actually,
Modern "Gut" is still organic, with the best being "Sheep"
An even old catgut didn't come from cats. I believe the derivation is from a "French" word for intestines which sounds like catgut.

Ed

tony barnhill
08-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Actually, #6 isn't correct - the Canaries were named after the indigenous people of the islands themselves:
"The origional inhabitants of the Canaries were the Guanche and the "Canarios", an aboriginal people (the current locals are still known as "Canarios)."http://www.spaintour.com/canarias.htm

waltesefalcon
08-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Well I got 5 right. numbers 1 3 4 7 and 10. My father was a Russian history professor and I am on my way to becoming an British History prof so there are three answers right there easy. I knew about the catgut some trivia I just keep in my head for some reason, and doesn't everyone know the black box is orange?

Cheers, graemlins/thirsty.gif graemlins/driving.gif
Walter

William
08-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I got Hunnert Years War, camelhair brushes, black boxes, and I knew the Purple Finch wasn't purple, but did not guess crimson.
-Wm.

09-01-2003, 03:53 AM
Geography Check! Since I am participating in a Trans-Atlantic sailing rally starting in the Canary Islands in November, I better check on my routing through Spain to get there if these islands are located in the Pacific.

aerog
09-01-2003, 07:53 AM
I got 3, but didn't catch the incorrect Pacific location of the Canaries.

By the way (Source (http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/2/Breeds/canary_dog.htm)):
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Most would guess that the Canary Islands of Spain were originally named after the canary birds that were found living wild on the islands - that is incorrect. Infact the Canary Islands were named after the large dogs that were originally found there (CAN = DOGS) and the birds took their name from the Island.
On the Island this dog is known as the Perro de Presa Canario (dog of prey of the Canary Islands)<hr></blockquote>

But to counter that is (Source (http://www.ukcpresa.com/article1.htm)):
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>"Plinio and Estacio Seboso thus named the islands 'Canaria,' their name being derived from the large dogs they found there at the time of Juba's famous expedition. Two of these dogs were taken to the King of Mauritania." This etymology, which was originally accepted by all later authors who commented on this famous voyage, has been refuted.<hr></blockquote>
But back again to (Source (http://www.eurotravelling.net/spain/canary_islands/canary_history.htm)):
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Spain laid claim to the islands in the 1400s. The king of Mauritania, describing an expedition to the islands, referred to large, fierce dogs("canis" in Latin)hence the name Canaria. <hr></blockquote>

There are dozens more on both sides, I think it's a chicken/egg situation images/icons/grin.gif

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

Henri
09-02-2003, 12:39 AM
There are dozens more on both sides, I think it's a chicken/egg situation

What? graemlins/crazy.gif

racing girl
09-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Glad some of you are awake and caught the deliberate geographical mistake! Er, yeah, that is my story and I'm sticking to it! images/icons/grin.gif