PDA

View Full Version : goofy sports car picture

aeronca65t
10-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Can you top this?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/monkcar1.jpg

William
10-08-2002, 10:06 PM
The Monkeemobile must've been in for repairs. And no I cannot top that. Not even remotely.
-Wm.

Steve
10-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Good job the car has plenty of Tork!

Scot
10-10-2002, 01:27 PM
Bet they will be Dolan out some cash to pay for that car!!

Scot

martx-5
10-10-2002, 04:10 PM
After 60 years, Morgan comes out with a new model and look at the result...ya gotta love it...only Morgan could get away with that. graemlins/crazy.gif images/icons/cool.gif

lawguy
10-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Any irony to the fact that the main sponsor of a Morgan racer is a company that makes woodworking tools?

Steve
10-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Davey has a "Jones" for that MGA.

aeronca65t
10-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Steve: I though you were going to say that the Monkees got that car “to keep up with the Joneses”. (I laughed at the Dolan/Tork comments too)

As for the Mog picture (the Woodworm Special?)…I love Morgans; and I could even deal with the wing and the Aero streamlining of that car….but the “cross-eyed” headlights are terrible….there *has* to be a better solution than that! (actually there *is*….buy a Plus-8).

Anyway, re: goofy pictures…..I’ve been looking at this BCF Healey logo for quite some time……and It’s obvious to me that the lady passenger is Lucille Ball…but who’s that guy driving? It’s either 1). Colin Chapman 2). Nigel Shiftright (from R&T) or 3). Maybe a young John Cleese? What do the rest of you think?

http://www.britishcarforum.com/ubb/ahlogo.jpg

78Z
10-11-2002, 03:23 AM
here's a goofy racing pic. A Morgan!

http://www.alpinefreedom.net/forums/uploads/post-17-1034273170.jpg

Dale
10-12-2002, 12:59 AM
Yeah it could be Graham Hill alright, but why is he flashing the bird through the steering wheel?
Dale graemlins/lol.gif

William
10-12-2002, 03:22 AM
Naturally, it's Graham Hill.
-Wm.

Steve
10-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Also,why is the grille badge on the left hand side? images/icons/grin.gif

William
10-13-2002, 01:06 PM
It's not the bird he's flashing, but the famous reversed V sign. You just cant see his other finger cause the steering wheel spokes are in the way.
Somewhere, maybe still at work, I have a picture from a magazine of Denny Hulme, driving a Brabham, at the Flugplatz at the old Nurburgring. There is a lot of air between his tyres and the tarmac. He is giving the cameraman the reversed V sign. Now that's driving! (For those who might not know, the reversed V is a peace sign-the V-turned around so the back of the hand is facing the person you are giving the reversed V to. It means roughly the same as the middle digit, with the added benefit of most Americans not knowing what the heck it means).
-William (acknowledged expert in swear words)

William
10-13-2002, 01:08 PM
Something just occurred to me-why is there a surfboard in that MGA with the Monkees?
-Wm images/icons/confused.gif

aeronca65t
10-14-2002, 08:16 AM
Steve: the image is reversed (I've seen it on other sites, the other way round).

William: the Monkees are probably "surfing" for Beach Boys fans....either that, or they thought it was some sort of exotic musical intstrument.

Also re: "rude gestures": when we were young, a little kid in our neighborhood learned to "flip the bird" ....and he started to do it to bigger kids. We didn't want him to get beat up, so we told him he was "doing it wrong" and that he should use his *index* finger. He got a lot of puzzled looks, but it probably saved him from some black eyes!(we thought it was hilarious)

Tiger
10-14-2002, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by martx-5:
After 60 years, Morgan comes out with a new model and look at the result<hr></blockquote>

Don't forget that other beauty, Morgan's Plus Four Plus of the 1960's.
graemlins/hammer.gif

DougR
12-17-2002, 09:10 PM
White out?

Duane
12-18-2002, 04:59 AM
More interesting trivia:
The mother of Mike Nesmith (the guy with the watch cap) invented what product???
Duane

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Duane ]</p>

Duane
12-19-2002, 06:32 PM
You guys are good........

Basil
12-19-2002, 10:09 PM
FWIW, I actually like the new Morgans. In my humble opinion they are the only company left still making cars in the true tradition of the Little British Sports car.
graemlins/thumbsup.gif

aeronca65t
12-20-2002, 05:21 AM
More Monkee trivia (I swear this is just stuff swimming in my head…..didn’t look this up, but I’m sure it’s all true….answers at bottom).

Q1.--What two Monkees got into racing and what type of racing?
Q2.--What famous singer changed his name to avoid being confused with one of the Monkees?
Q3.--What Monkee was a well-known elephant rider?
Q4.--Which Monkee is active in “Habitat For Humanity” (he did a benefit in my area a few years ago)
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

A1.--Mike Nesmith /ran the Baja 1000 off-road event a number of years ago.
Dave Jones still races horse as an amateur…he started this when he was about 50 and the events he runs are charity events (I saw a thing about this on TV).

A2.--David Bowie (real name: David Jones)

A3.--Micky Dolenz starred as “Corky” in the TV series “Circus Boy”.

A4.--Peter Tork (what a “powerful” surname!)

v12_jagman
01-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Ok next Momkee triva question what was the name of there last album

spritenut
02-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Bugeye?
http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/cyclops.jpg

Dale
02-16-2003, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by spritenut:
Bugeye?
http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/cyclops.jpg<hr></blockquote>

Interesting. But why? Guess if I have to ask I wouldn't understand the answer anyway?
graemlins/crazy.gif

MattP
02-18-2003, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dale:

Interesting. But why? Guess if I have to ask I wouldn't understand the answer anyway?
graemlins/crazy.gif <hr></blockquote>

Simple, it was late in the summer of 1960, and there was a rumored sand shortage in England. Glass prices were projected to skyrocket and Wishing to keep the Sprite affordable, Donald Healy decided to cut costs and do away with one of the head lights. This special model was cobbled together at the cape; just in time for everyone to figure out that Silicon is one of if not the most common elements on the table. So this was the only one ever made.

Does that answer your question, or just fertilize your yard?

MattP

Steve
02-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Mooooooooooo! Splat!

aeronca65t
02-18-2003, 12:53 PM
"Monocle-Eye Sprite"?

If you put your finger over the headlight, you'll get an idea what Jerry Coker's original Sprite would have looked like (he wanted retracting lights, but in the end it was deemed too expensive).

spritenut: Is that "Photoshop", or is it real?

MattP
02-18-2003, 09:55 PM
My money's on Photoshop. If you look where the headlights should be the yellow is about a half tone too dark, and much too smooth for the general grainyness of the rest of the photo. The sign, "Please Touch" is a cute addition too.

MattP

spritenut
02-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok so it's a photoshop retouch. someone sent it to me. I guess they had too much time on their hands images/icons/smile.gif
As for the Please touch sign, We at Positive Earth Drivers club promote driving the cars. We have little kids sit in them at shows, Moms and Dads too. Hey it's only a car. Most of the people who come to look at cars in a car show drove up in something worth 4-6 times what a Sprite is worth. So why not let them touch it? The little kid who got to sit in an old English Sports car will never forget it, he may just grow up and buy an english sports car himself thus keeping our hobby going.

Mark Noeltner
02-23-2003, 01:57 AM
I let folks, especially kids, sit in my DeLorean at car shows as long as they ask politely. One of my pet peeves are the ones that just jump in and start playing with things without even asking. Especially if they're carrying food or drinks. (Had one spill a coke in the car and didn't even apologize). images/icons/mad.gif

But, like I said, as long as they ask I'll tell 'em to jump in. Those are the ones I would rather have in the hobby anyway. I kinda think that the impolite ones would end up being very poor ambassadors for the hobby if they ever got involved in it.

Just my $.02. I think I'm getting more curmudgeonly as I get older. graemlins/devilgrin.gif