PDA

View Full Version : What mods can be done - mid 60's sprite

HSLDmark
08-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Got a potential 66 Sprite. Last one was a restore/update job for a customer. Lot-o-fun to drive.

If I buy one for myself, I want it to smoke the rear tires off. I also want 4 wheel disc brakes.

What V6 / V8 swap is possible here? How about rear disc brakes? Is there an easier rear to install that would be stronger and be able to put rear discs on?

Being that a V6 or V8 conversion would entail cutting frame and/or firewall, has anyone attempted this?

FWIW, I have a full shop and can do just about anything. Just need a direction to look towards.

Bugeye58
08-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Buy a Sunbeam Tiger.
Jeff

WhatsThatNoise
08-21-2007, 06:00 AM
The extra weight will make it handle like pooie...

You would be lucky to have a drivable car.

Uncontrollable under steer followed by violent power on over steer.
(That is... If it donesn't snap spin before you get to the apex due to trailing throttle)

Take the bad points of a AC Cobra & add the idiosyncrasies of a TVR Griffith 400 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

In a straight line it would be impressive.....
I think I'd put it in reverse, in order to get back home rather than chance turning the wheel /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

aeronca65t
08-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Buy a Sunbeam Tiger.
Jeff

Or a C4 Corvette.
Or a Camaro.
Or a Mustang
Etc, etc.

billspohn
08-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Well there is the Sprite with the Jaguar engine in it, and the Chev V8 powered one, and.....but basically the advice is good - not the easiest car to do a swap into.

And why on Earth do you want rear discs? While I am the first to admit that the fade characteristics on the track make them an advantage, that is rarely an issue on the street (if you are driving legally) and the working parking brake should not be lightly given up! In other words, going to rear discs probably won't get you anything much and possibly will deprive you of something useful.

If you MUST modify a Spridget, choose an engine that is easier to fit - I've seen some rotary engines and there are a number of high output 4 cylinders, both turbo and naturally aspirated around.

bugimike
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Drop a Mazda rotary into it!!