PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum/looking to start racing

BBShriver
08-01-2007, 08:51 AM
My dad brother and I have been kicking around the idea of getting into racing as a hobby/advertising for our company (http://www.threesevenresearch.com).
Any suggestions from the veterans here as to what a good place to start would be? I'm thinking SCCA/NASA club racing, but wondering what classes there are, etc. Also might like to get into vintage racing at some point.

tony barnhill
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, you've come to the right place....Hal, Nial & the other serious`racers can give you some good advise. welcome.

aeronca65t
08-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I have been racing with EMRA for years and I would say it is the best bang for the buck in the northeast. Very laid back club without sacrificing safety.
I have run in most of the other clubs.

The EMRA enduro series is especially neat (in my opinion). We also do shorter sprint races (usually about 20-25 laps). EMRA runs at Pocono pretty regularly (we were there two weeks ago) and we will be at Pocono again on September 8 and 9.
Note that we have a Time Trial on Sept 9 which is really intended for stock and modified street cars. It is the perfect way to "try out" racing since you can do it in a normal car such as a Camry or a Cavalier or whatever (it's not wheel-to-wheel racing...more like a "track day" with regulated passing). You do not need race equipment for our Time Trials....just a helmet and wear a long sleeve shirt (Note: Convertibles need an approved roll bar...not required for hard top cars).
We provide instructors and so forth.
And if you come on Sept 8 you will see a modified "LeMans Start" for our Two Hour Enduro...pretty cool to watch, especially from the driver's seat.
If you're not ready to race but just want to see what it's all about, just come and watch...we have free beer at the end of the day.

Here's the EMRA schedule for 2007:

http://www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm

Note that we also have upcoming 2007 dates at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and our season ends with a Four-Hour Night Enduro at Summit Point.
Another good group is Vintage Racer Group (VRG) if you're into vintage racing. I ran the Pittsburgh Vintage with them a few weeks ago. A great bunch.
I'm the EMRA RaceChair. I'll be happy to answer any other questions about race licenses, car prep and so forth.
You can see some pictures of EMRA races in my signature link below.

BBShriver
08-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I suppose one other important thing here is that while I currently live in Allentown, PA, my parents will soon be moving to Florida and my brother lives in Myrtle Beach, so some sort of national racing body would be preferable to a local organization.

JerryB
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
""""""""as to what a good place to start would be? """"""""

I assume road racing at the club level?

You might start by going to some races and kick tires. Pick a class/group that interests you and aim for a specific car make that would fit in your budget.

Listen , learn, ask a lot of questions, take notes and pictures.

NASA and SCCA are national organizations; and vintage and smaller clubs are regional in nature. Look on the web for their websites and hit the news-stand and get a copy of Sportscar and Victory Lane for a start.

There are dedicated driving schools in all areas of the country. Many clubs have a driving school once or twice a year that is less expensive.

Good luck.

WhatsThatNoise
08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Take the to the track.....

We could go 10 pages here and you still wouldn't have as good of an idea as to what goes on as one day at the track will give you.

SCCA has 30 day free memberships now....So just show up.

BTW...Racing is all about racing...
It's about driving and feeling a car at the limit. [And sometimes beyond]
The car is expendable.

Take your annual income and drop a zero....That's the MOST you want to spend on your 1st car.

If you really want to go fast, you will be breaking stuff.

(BTW...The car below is a non-WTW car)

WhatsThatNoise
08-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Here is my Bro w/ his first checker....

My car is the red one behind him and Cpt. Sparkles has the Pinto on the left.

Spend your cash on safety equipment, entry fees and towing costs.....NOT the car.

You will have more fun racing close than being all uptight about damage.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/NelsonLedgesMay12004.jpg

Bugeye58
08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Dave offers sage advice. I've been racing since 1969, and learned a long time ago that you should never race anything you can't walk away from without looking back.
Entry level cars at a reasonable price are a glut on the market. In the SCCA, the Improved Touring classes are popular, and car counts are fairly good, so even mid pack or below, you still will have someone to race with. Think Pinto's, 2.3 liter Mustangs, even Chevettes, Ford Festivas, and the like.
The production classes will eat up dollars way faster than you can make them. A $50,000 Sprite isn't unheard of. Believe me!!
Safety equipment is one item that shouldn't be skimped on. Fire suits and helmets, while rarely actually used, are there for only one reason. To protect YOU should the unthinkable happen.
I would also suggest going to a couple of races, and volunteering to be a corner worker. This will give you the best seat in the house to look at the various cars and classes, and help you form an intelligent opinion on just what you are looking for.
Hope this tiny bit of insight has helped some.
Jeff
(Pay no attention to my avatar! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

WhatsThatNoise
08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
(Pay no attention to my avatar! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Monkeywrench
08-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Here is my Bro w/ his first checker....

My car is the red one behind him and Cpt. Sparkles has the Pinto on the left.

Spend your cash on safety equipment, entry fees and towing costs.....NOT the car.

You will have more fun racing close than being all uptight about damage.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/NelsonLedgesMay12004.jpg

Are those GT Pinto's? I've been pretty much sold on the idea of getting one. Buy in is way cheaper than Spec Miata and it's a way cool class. I'll be at the next MARRS. Maybe I'll see you guys there?

WhatsThatNoise
08-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Are those GT Pinto's?
Nope...ITB

We can't do cam, compression, DCOEs and tranny swaps.
Also, we have to use the original glass.
And we have to weigh 2490#

So our cars are much slower on the straights.
(But our engines are cheaper to build & maintain)

A GTP = GT3 if you go out of your area.
(That shoud give you a good idea of lap times)

BTW...You MARRS guys are great!!!
Thanks for one of the best weekends at Nelson we have ever had.
The car count was 240!.....

I'm on to you DC folks tactics now.
(Giving away beer to the competitors so they have to race w/ hangovers on Sunday /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif)

Monkeywrench
08-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Are those GT Pinto's?
Nope...ITB

We can't do cam, compression, DCOEs and tranny swaps.
Also, we have to use the original glass.
And we have to weigh 2490#

So our cars are much slower on the straights.
(But our engines are cheaper to build & maintain)

A GTP = GT3 if you go out of your area.
(That shoud give you a good idea of lap times)

BTW...You MARRS guys are great!!!
Thanks for one of the best weekends at Nelson we have ever had.
The car count was 240!.....

I'm on to you DC folks tactics now.
(Giving away beer to the competitors so they have to race w/ hangovers on Sunday /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif)

The lap record at Watkins Glen is a 2.17 and a 1.27 at Summit. They're not as full prep as you would think. Anywhere else they run in GT3, but they're really an ITB Pinto (as far as brakes and suspensions go)and the motor can only be mildly built. You are limited to a 500cfm Holley, no porting (besides cleaning up casting flash), and you have 4 different pistons to choose from (everyone seems to run the TRW forged, the others are OEM cast or forged). The only thing really free is the camshaft. The body has to be stock, and only an air dam and a mini trunk spoiler are permitted. Heck, you take the air dam off and the spoiler and put treaded tires on the car, and you have a decent vintage car as well.

I ain't exactly a MARRS guy yet... but I know quite a few of them, and yes they can party /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif and they put on a heck of a show.

BBShriver
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Well other than just general racing interest, the whole family racing craze right now stems from going to the Monterey Historics a few too many times, walking the paddocks, listening to the cars, and realizing as much fun as it is to watch it would be a heck of a lot more fun to be on the track. Also going to LimeRock vintage races over labor day, and Watkins Glen the following weekend. Might try to get to the SCCA tri-region at Pocono this month. Originally we were looking at a Jaguar XK120 race-prepped, for $55k in Monterey that was stunning, but then we already have an XK 140 with an E-type engine (ported/polished/headers, etc), independant rear, and 4 wheel disc brakes, so a vintage spec XK would be a pretty signifigant step backwards performance wise.
Right now our front-runner buget race car is a 73 Porsche 911 locally for $8800. Supposudly has a strong drivetrain, but the paint is very poor. Both my dad and uncle were Porsche mechanics back in that time frame (Dad in the late 60's, uncle in the early 70's) so are fairly familiar with the cars overall. I also used to work pit crew for a grassroots stock car team as part of my old company in Nevada, so we've all been around the car/racing scene a bit.... enough to get bit by the bug at least!

Reading "The Last Open Road" series by Burt Levy kinda pushed me over the edge...

Appreciate all the comments, and certainly am planning to attend as many races as I can get in my schedule.

spridgetpwr84
08-03-2007, 12:06 PM
If advertising is part of your plan then keep in mind if you go the scca production route the SCCA runoffs are on speed each year.

BBShriver
08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Good point, I'll look into it.

WhatsThatNoise
08-04-2007, 06:04 PM
From the time we decided to road race, after buying the car.
(We had been Auto-X'ing & I strongly recommend a year of that first)
It was 2 weeks until driver's school and we had NOTHING!

No suit, shoes, helmet, socks....Nothing
No trailer, gas cans, rain tires.....Nothing

We made it....Thanks to a lady from our region who helped us with all the paperwork.

My point.....Don't delay.....
If your interested now....Race something...Race anything!
Just get on the track.

And you're still too wrapped up on car selection.
Think Truck, trailer, safety stuff, tools & tires.
And buy a race ready car for under 4 grand.
(don't ask what it is...Only if it has a current log book)

Real racing has nothing to do with cars....
(Well almost nothing /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif )

LarryK
08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Go to the SCCA.com website and find the Region nearest you. Go to the races and inquire about your interest. Most SCCA schools have drivers that will rent cars for you to use during the schools, that way you have a crew and not the burden of trying to build or buy a car for your license. Rental will then give you a basic on costs per race and either boil the blood for more or make you cringe at costs. Then build or buy what you want for the class you are interested in.
Larry K
StL Reg SCCA Grid
PDX,Solo,RoadRally

Monkeywrench
08-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Good point, I'll look into it.

BB, there is a SCCA Double National at Pocono the weekend of the 17th of August. It is a spectator event. Here is a link http://www.triregionracing.org/

WhatsThatNoise
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Nationals won't have IT cars, but you can ask people about that class.

Go to registration and ask for a free 30 day membership...
And tell them you want to observe a corner so they will give you the proper credentials (arm band)

Wear a white shirt and ask a corner Cpt. if you could observe sometime during the day.
(in between races)

Then ask everyone who looks like anyone all types of questions.......

Enjoy.....And tell us what you think of the experience /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Monkeywrench
08-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Nationals won't have IT cars, but you can ask people about that class.

Go to registration and ask for a free 30 day membership...
And tell them you want to observe a corner so they will give you the proper credentials (arm band)

Wear a white shirt and ask a corner Cpt. if you could observe sometime during the day.
(in between races)

Then ask everyone who looks like anyone all types of questions.......

Enjoy.....And tell us what you think of the experience /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Yup.

Pocono is only an 40 minutes or so from Allentown. Worth going regardless.

The guys up there to ask about the IT classes are some of the guys running "newer" cars in the Production classes (basically anything non British) as a lot of them have come from the IT ranks.

Most importantly go out and have fun.

Hap Waldrop
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm stilling waiting for Hal to chime in /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy
08-09-2007, 11:23 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

..and I think Dave actually nailed it with:

Real racing has nothing to do with cars....
(Well almost nothing \:G )

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

BBShriver
08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
That may be... but my main interest in racing is the cars so....
One of the interesting personality differences between me and my dad... when we go to races in Monterey, he always likes a high viewpoint where he can see the strategy of the race, know who's in what position etc.
I always like to be as close as I can get to the track so I can see individual cars, hear the sounds and smells... I really couldn't care less who wins/loses.

So for me to go racing, the real point is for me to have an excuse to have a cool car and a place to drive it.

VelodromeRacer
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I have to ask as well, what do you all think of starting with a vintage bugeye sprite? I have a 68 Sprite and a 66 Healey 3000 as road cars and have tracked my 2005 CTS-V the last 2 years.

I spent a few days camping at Road America 2 weeks ago watching the Brian Redmund races and really want to pull the trigger. I want to use a vintage car and I want to use something that is British..the cheap side has led me to a bunch of sprites but I wonder if anybody here has raced one...I could care less about being the fastest on the track.

Any thoughts...?

BBShriver
08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone here know the total schedule for SCCA at pocono next weekend?

DrEntropy
08-12-2007, 04:02 AM
I have to ask as well, what do you all think of starting with a vintage bugeye sprite? I have a 68 Sprite and a 66 Healey 3000 as road cars and have tracked my 2005 CTS-V the last 2 years.

I spent a few days camping at Road America 2 weeks ago watching the Brian Redmund races and really want to pull the trigger. I want to use a vintage car and I want to use something that is British..the cheap side has led me to a bunch of sprites but I wonder if anybody here has raced one...I could care less about being the fastest on the track.

Any thoughts...?

aeronca65t and Bugeye58 come to mind... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

kcbugeye1275
08-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Although I don't race, I live close to Topeka, home of SCCA and the Nationals, and count alot of friends as racers. It sounds to me like you are ready to make a step toward racing and really enjoy it with your family. What I see is that racing takes quite a bit of time and money, but past that there are a great group of people you'll make as friends because they all share the same passion. It takes alot of people to stage these races, and if you start helping as a corner worker, in tech inspection, or anyplace else you will learn more than the cost of time spent.

Monkeywrench
08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Does anyone here know the total schedule for SCCA at pocono next weekend?

http://www.triregionracing.org/Forms/2007_dn_supps_entry.pdf

Page 6

BB,

Also come out to the SVRA US Zippo Grand Prix. It rivals the KIC and Monteray in car counts (430+ entrants usually).
http://www.svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-6VFQXN?OpenDocument

BBShriver
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I am definitely planning to attend both Watkins Glen and Lime Rock vintage events in September. Going to try to make it to Pocono next weekend, but we'll see how that plays out.
Who else here is planning to be at these events? Any sort of BCF "meet and greet" going on?
My first trip to Monterey Historics I met up with some folks from the Jag-Lovers forums, which turned out to be very informative to have someone there to show me around the track etc. As a bonus the guy I was with that day had done Skip Barber at Laguna Seca so he was able to comment on the driving side of the track as well as the spectator side.

Monkeywrench
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll be at Watkins Glen in Sept. crewing for a friend.

I usually go to Pocono, but I don't think I am this year.

Michael Oritt
08-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm entered at Lime Rock Vintage Festival in class G-1. I'll be at Grattan, MI for the VSCDA event this weekend--it looks like a very challenging track from the videos I've found on YouTube.

BBShriver
08-15-2007, 09:57 AM
What car will you be in at lime rock?

Michael Oritt
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Elva Courier #82 white with red stripes(see avatar picture).

BBShriver
08-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, went to SCCA Pocono yesterday.
Got some video, but tried twice to upload to YouTube, it says it was successful, but doesn't seem to have worked. I'm baffled... :-/
It was fun though!

WhatsThatNoise
08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
So what do you think about the organization?

Twosheds
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I'll be at Watkins Glen in Sept. crewing for a friend.

I usually go to Pocono, but I don't think I am this year.

Monkeywrench, Steven Groh, #3 Spitfire, has invited me to accompany him to Watkins Glen.

Now I have to decide if I can afford to go!

BBShriver
08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I enjoyed the races at Pocono. A schedule of what classes were running when would have been nice (we got there too late to see the production classes). Some good racing though!

Michael Oritt
08-24-2007, 04:33 PM
For something just a bit different consider coming to the Lime Rock Vintage Festival August 31-September 3. For a schedule of events go here:

http://www.limerockfallfestival.com/event/schedule.html

There's great racing on Friday, Saturday and Monday and a fabulous show on Sunday. I'll be in Group 5.

Monkeywrench
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
John,

Do what you can to get to WGI in Sept. The HSR race in June isn't even close to the SVRA event. It's well worth it...

Just check out the entries as of today

http://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/attachmentweb/EJEN-6VFUTY/$file/Entry+List.pdf?OpenElement

Twosheds
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
John,

Do what you can to get to WGI in Sept. The HSR race in June isn't even close to the SVRA event. It's well worth it...

Just check out the entries as of today

Wow. Looks like a great turn-out.

I told Steve I can't afford to go, but he is looking into providing accomodations and a ride up and back for me.

He seems to think my knowledge and advice on racing is worth putting up with my company! HAH! Go figure...

Maybe see you there...

Hedgehog
09-13-2007, 04:38 PM
BBShriver, I sent you a PM. We've got a pair of MG Midget racecars with a slough of parts for sale. Give me a shout if you're interested.

Dave Hesse
Portage, WI