PDA

View Full Version : MGB GT Roll Bar/Cage

tony barnhill
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
So, I'm installing my AutoPower roll cage kit in my '68 GT but want to modify it by installing NASCAR-type door bars instead of the straight bars....gonna put 2 bars on each side....but, I want them low enough so my old, overweight body can climb over them...how low can I put the top one & still fall within historic rules?

JerryB
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
"""""how low can I put the top one & still fall within historic rules? """""""

Well firstly if you do "nascar type" you will be intruding inside the door with the bars as that type kicks into the door area. So IF the group(s) you will run with want original door panels or retention of the door glass you might be out of luck.

Also it is a lot more fab work to make that type of install.

I asume that the Autopower "kit" has a front and rear hoop that you will be tying to. The key is to postion the side bars so you can get in and out of the tin top car....and in a hurry if need be, and also to allow correct protection. This is a tough act as the top bar should be high enough to protect. I am not a big fan of removable bars ...or tin tops (for that reason).

Some folks dont understand the protection needed.....another school of thought is not to cut up or modify a vintage car with side bars or a race seat...but thats not a valid thought.

You might get a-hold of some bar conversal fabricaors in your area for ideas. You can always do a mock up with PVC pipe and go from there.

tony barnhill
07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Well firstly if you do "nascar type" you will be intruding inside the door with the bars as that type kicks into the door area.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've already gutted the doors to allow room for them....& there's now no place to mount windows!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I asume that the Autopower "kit" has a front and rear hoop that you will be tying to.[/QUOTE]

Yep...& it came with straight bars but I want a little more room, thus NASCAR-type.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I am not a big fan of removable bars [/QUOTE]

Me too! Won't be using them.