PDA

View Full Version : VARAC Vintage Festival at Mosport

Michael Oritt
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I just returned from the VARAC Vintage Festival. This was my first drive at Mosport and as promised there was quite a pucker factor on several of the turns, esp. #2.

I ran in Group 2 and came in first in class (C) in both Sunday races--to be accurate it was a small class to begin with and by the last race there were only two us standing. Whatever....

The Canadians are a great bunch of fast and friendly drivers and the track is wonderful--I'm looking forward to returning there next year.

On to BeaverRun and PVGP!

Bugeye58
06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Did you party with Greenwood, Shane, and the boys? They all used to come over here when we still had the Meadowbrook Historics at Waterford Hills, and I could always be found in the Canadian Corner. Got to mooch some nice rides, too!
Jeff

Michael Oritt
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Jeff--

I was not staying at track so only did the first welcome reception. All the folks I met were real nice and sharp drivers as well.

DrEntropy
06-27-2007, 05:25 AM
To quote an Ozzie driver: "Me nether orifice wuz squeezin' tight, quick as a rabbit's nose."

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Enjoy Shenley Park, Michael. "A leisurely drive in the country." /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<envy icon here>

Simon TR4a
06-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I spun in Turn 2 3 years ago, at about 80mph in my TR4a, it was quite exciting. Just a little wide on the entry, but by the time you have committed, and its a blind apex, its too late to change your mind!
I find Turn 4 is pretty scary too, because its really fast!

I met Bill Babcock there with Peyote, the special based on a TR3, under the alloy panels there are tubes everywhere, maybe 80-90ft of tubing.

Several friends of mine were driving in different classes, Matt Molson in the blue TR6 and a Lotus Elan, Gord in a silver 914, the Loks in Volvos etc.

I am sorry we didn't meet, I saw your car on the track without realising it was you!
Simon.

Twosheds
06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I met Bill Babcock there with Peyote, the special based on a TR3, under the alloy panels there are tubes everywhere, maybe 80-90ft of tubing.

Did you get a look at Nero, the Airstream Peyote hauler/living quarters? Very cool set-up and goes well with Peyote. I talked to Babcock at Watkins Glen June 16 & 17 when I snuck away from the TRA National in Geneva to the HSR race at The Glen.

By the way, I also met Monkeywrench there (with Dick Stockton TR4) who has alot more on the ball than most adults I know! Including me!

MGAdams
06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Michael and Simon,
Sorry I missed you ... and I think your paddock was right across the road from me. Great weekend. Broke the transmission on Thursday testing. Made repairs and had a great Saturday and Sunday. Fifth in class for the MG feature. No wall bumping this year.
Large batch of photos posted here, must seek out that photographer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanm/618132500/in/set-72157600473507657/

Monkeywrench
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks John. It was great meeting you and putting a face to a name.

DrEntropy
06-28-2007, 04:59 PM
There's a few more of us to meet as well, y'know. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Monkeywrench
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
There's a few more of us to meet as well, y'know. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I remember back at the Glen in '05 I met a few ITB Pinto guys doing their school (the weekend of the 3hr enduro in the fall). I stopped by and briefly talked to them. They had chrome naked chick emblems on the grill and the dashboard if I remember right /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif . That wouldn't have been anyone on here, would it?

Simon TR4a
06-29-2007, 10:00 AM
That MG feature race was a great battle for the 5 MGBs, Joe Lightfoot and co. who ran around in close company, passing and repassing.
Up front the Midgets, Nick Pratt and a guy whose name I don't recall, ran away from the field. I think with more laps and familiarity with the track the pale blue B might have kept up as it was a very fast car.
I took a couple of pictures of your car in the paddock, MGAdams.
All around I had a great day.

AndreGT6
06-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes Mosport was a great event this year.
Drive was not bad either, came up from Ottawa, 350KM each way.

Watching the races just wet my desire to get into vintage racing.

Now I have to figure out how to afford it.

Really enjoyed the 1 lap we had on the track.

Traffic was a little packed, but still got to open the GT6 up a bit.

http://www.justdrive.ca/mosport/07raw/DCIM/193CANON/slides/IMG_9358.JPG

Picts of # 82

http://www.justdrive.ca/mosport/07raw/DCIM/187CANON/slides/IMG_8721.JPG

http://www.justdrive.ca/mosport/07raw/DCIM/187CANON/slides/IMG_8722.JPG

A.

Michael Oritt
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Great photos.
High pucker factor on turn 2....

Sherlock
06-30-2007, 07:09 AM
I miss Mosport! and VARAC!

When I lived in Ontario I went every year, there is nothing even close to comparable here in Alberta.

The best thing about the VARAC meet was how cheap it was, $20 got you in for the whole weekend and you could just simply set up a tent for the weekend, enjoy the racing, and enjoy all the great cars that show up, Mosport has given me some of the best automotive photo opportunities I've ever had, unfortunately back when I had my crappy old film camera...

AndreGT6
06-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah sorry there are not more, I'll look again. Too bad the last one is not in focus for you.

Both taken turn 7/8 back straight. We camp there every year. Great high speed section.

Sherlock, yes I totally agree, $30 for a race weekend with camping, hot showers. Cheaper then going to a national park.

I went back in 05, missed 06 due to family stuff, but this yr I event went down a day early, Thrusday. So worth it.

I've been talking to a lot of racers about what is envolved to get into Vintage racing. Really for me the car or the fee's are not an issue.
According to my sources, lots of car's out there...
Its the garage (single town house) so that limits storage for a trailer too.
Also means I need a tow vech.

So its all a little disappointing. That said, Solo II and lapping will be starting soon for me. That should keep the blood pumping till I can sort out my domestic issues /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A.