PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting racing history...

YankeeTR
05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
I came across this today while doing some research. Many famous names in here...Briggs Cunningham, Augie Pabst, Brooks Stevens, Denise McCluggage, Walt Hansgen, Roger Penske, Pedro Rodriguiz, etc.

Lots of long gone tracks and some really neat photos.

http://ferrariexperts.com/SCCA%20results.htm

aeronca65t
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
That is so cool...I just sent that to about 15 of my racing buddies.
Many of them will recognize the tracks that are now closed.

GB1
05-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow

Thanks for sharing

Patrick

YankeeTR
05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I like the picture of the Jag XK 120 in the hay bales.

Looking at the final pages, which are the 1962 SCCA final points standings, you find Don Yenko (Yenko Camaros and others), Hap Sharp, Roger penske, Bob Tullius and even Lynn Blanchard a Wisconsin driver who my brother worked for back in the 60's.

I also love the quote..."You MUST be cheating because I'm cheating and you're beating me"!

And check out the 'driver's meeting' cartoon around the first three pages...priceless!

TRMark
05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Really, some neat stuff there. A Cadillac-Triumph? Hate to think about how they made it fit.

bugimike
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for posting that!! Really neat!! the final years was a lot of fun going through as that was when I was most actively involved (in Formula Junior). The list of names brought back some very fond memories!!! Some of those rosters read like a "who's who" of racing today!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DrEntropy
06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Agreed. Found both the now legendary and some folks I know on those. Doc Wyllie and wife Peg, Bob Rost, the McClures, Chuck Stoddard... it's all kinda scary in a "time" sense. Wow.

And Steve McQueen, Donahue, Denise McC... Very interesting.

Coldplugs' Da is on there, too!

billspohn
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Really, some neat stuff there. A Cadillac-Triumph? Hate to think about how they made it fit.

Hey, no problem - that Caddy engine bay could fit two TR motors......

bugimike
06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Agreed. Found both the now legendary and some folks I know on those. Doc Wyllie and wife Peg, Bob Rost, the McClures, Chuck Stoddard... it's all kinda scary in a "time" sense. Wow.

And Steve McQueen, Donahue, Denise McC... Very interesting.

Coldplugs' Da is on there, too!

Ain't dat da trut!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

TRMark
06-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Hey, no problem - that Caddy engine bay could fit two TR motors......

Hmmm, I figured one in the bay and one in the boot. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

etceterini
06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
OK,
I'm back. I have a new page with SCCA results that
is an update of the above link. Here it is:

http://ferrariexperts.com/SCCA%20results%20test%20page.htm

Cheers!

Cliff Reuter
PS PLEASE, webmaster, give me more information on the Ermini!!

DrEntropy
06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Hello, Cliff! The info has had me reading for DAYS. We were Steel Cities Region denizens for a number of years in the late '60's thru the late '70's.

I gotta send you a PM with a question!

bugimike
06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Hello, Cliff! The info has had me reading for DAYS. <span style="color: #FF0000">We were Steel Cities Region denizens for a number of years in the late '60's thru the late '70's</span>.

I gotta send you a PM with a question!

Doc., Now I KNOW we had to have rubbed elbows in the past!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Does this car look at all familiar to you (usually ran as 38)? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy
06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
umm...uh-oh... Now you're ringin' half dead synapse connections. Yes, vaguely. Red, IIRC. Sure to have pictures of it here.

Our FA car was "Tyrrell-Yoho". Red with yellow lettering/logo. Old DeTomato chassis we cobbed V8 Chevy 350's into. Zed-F transaxle... You are bound-and-determined to have me rummaging thru piles of OLD negatives & 'chromes, ain't ya, Mikey. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

DrEntropy
06-26-2007, 02:09 PM
This shot was taken in '78, IIRC. Myron Yoho. Ledges, regional.

bugimike
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Hehehe, I'm doin' that all the time meself Doc. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif She wasn't red though, but that Franch racing baby-blue! We used to haul it with a red pick-up though!! (and then later on the back of a VW flat-bed - y'know, like the van only with just the cab and a deck behind it!) Do da name Bruce Klussman ring a bell?

She came from Ireland with a Lotus twincam which we ran for a coupla seasons and then switched to a twin-plug Alfa!

Nice pic!!

DrEntropy
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
French blue... like I woulda looked at THAT twice! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Other fellas I hung out with:

R.P. (Bob) Rost; EP Duetto
Tommy & Jim Boffo; CS mini's (National Champs, I might add)
Dick "Scotty" Scott; FF (Owner of "RedLine Racing", Shadyside)
Burt Young; CLAPPED OUT Giulietta ("Burt Young for MAYOR!")
Kenny Hoffman; FF
Jerry (blankly stares into space); EP MGB. (we drank a LOT of Walker Black together, too /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

bugimike
06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
French blue... <span style="color: #3366FF">like I woulda looked at THAT twice! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif</span>
Other fellas I hung out with:

R.P. (Bob) Rost; EP Duetto
Tommy & Jim Boffo; CS mini's (National Champs, I might add)
Dick "Scotty" Scott; FF (Owner of "RedLine Racing", Shadyside)
Burt Young; CLAPPED OUT Giulietta ("Burt Young for MAYOR!")
Kenny Hoffman; FF
Jerry (blankly stares into space); EP MGB. <span style="color: #FF0000">(we drank a LOT of Walker Black together, too /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">That was the color John Crossle, the builder, was partial to!! I guess his Irish/French ancestry!</span>I do remember Red Line Racing/Scotty from various paddocks!! and Kenny Hoffman sounds familiar! I'm pretty sure I musta watched all those guys at one point or another though! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000"> and that explains a lot too!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif </span>

Nunyas
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM
&lt;sarcasm&gt;Ok, the talk is getting a bit too colorful in here. I'm going to have to ask you folks to tone it down a bit!&lt;/sarcasm&gt; /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

DrEntropy
06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Blame Mike. I eschew colour. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Kenny worked for Scotty off-an'-on, did a lot of prep work on the FF Scotty ran. He was also a H.S. classmate of 'smits, one of the responsible parties for introducin' Her 'n me. Close friend.

Kenny and Myron were both involved in a shunt at the Ledges in '81 (I think). Both were killed as a result. 'smits 'n me had just moved here and had no way to get back 'home' then. Very traumatic period.

Pretty much put me off racing.

bugimike
06-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Quite understandable!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Sorry Ron! Being an artist I find colors and pictures express it better for me /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif ! Doc., you just eschew them <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>MOST</span></span> of the time...I seen some color in you posts! If not the letters, then the language!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy
06-28-2007, 07:54 AM
I do try. S'posed to be somewhat a wordsmithy so hammerin' language is a passable passtime. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif