PDA

View Full Version : New Triumph vs BMW Airhead

drooartz
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
So my bike is gone, and I'm on the hunt for the next ride. The 2 top contenders are:

1. New Triumph Bonneville
2. 70s BMW Airhead (/5 or /6 preferrable)

This will be my only bike, for local commuting and a few weekend trips a year. Any preferences from the riders here? I'm leaning towards the Triumph (I think they're beautiful bikes, and modern reliability is a good thing) but am open to suggestions.

tony barnhill
05-30-2007, 11:08 AM
New Triumph Speedmaster!!

drooartz
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
That's yours, Tony. We'll have to ride our new Triumphs together if we ever actually get them!

I really prefer the standard Bonnies. Went down to the dealer today, and took a test ride on one. It was as fun as I remembered it to be. The sales guy I was chatting with said they didn't have any green ones in stock, but later on a service guy showed me a new still-in-the-crate green one that had just arrived today. Very dangerous! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm still trying to decide if I care that most of the new '07 models are actually assembled in Triumph's Thailand factory. Many parts have come from there for years, but the new bikes for the US market are being made there. Not sure I really care at all, but it's out there...

Steve
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Personally, I have a thing for air-cooled BMW boxers. But those new Triumphs are okay.

Paul Johnson
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Hard to say what someone else will like. I'm on my fourth airhead, this time a restored 60/5, and think it may be the one I've been looking for all along.

The controls are heavy. It's a bike that takes a good bit of energy to ride. Nevertheless, I'll travel on it some this year. I'm getting mid 40s for fuel.

Recently sold an '02 standard Bonneville that I bought new and put 30,000 on. A wonderful bike, turning in 50-55mpg, very low effort to ride, and I felt like I could put it anywhere I wanted in a corner. Replaced the chain at 20k.
Never had a moments trouble and had no failures at all.
Last summer rode it on a 3,000 miles six day trip in 100+ weather, and it never complained at all (though I whined a lot).

PM me for a phone number if you have any particular questions.

drooartz
06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Paul -- I'll be in touch one of these days to get some opinions from you. Nice to know someone who has owned both bikes.

I'm probably a ways out on this decision, anyways. Summer funding may be diverted to finish up the Tunebug engine rebuild. One project at a time.