PDA

View Full Version : Morris Minor

tony barnhill
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Wonder how much trouble it would be to turn a Morris Minor sedan into a woodie wagon or pickup...anybody attempted either conversion?

Sherlock
04-02-2004, 04:44 AM
According to a book I just looked at, chassis dimensions are the same for all Morris Minor car models - wheelbase and overall length. Based on that information... I suppose if you could track down the station wagon/pickup panels to graft on the back maybe it could be done. But I imagine that would be an ambitious project.

Mickey Richaud
04-02-2004, 04:51 AM
Ambitious, yes, but Tony just retired. He's got nothing else to do! images/icons/wink.gif

tony barnhill
04-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Actually, I have this old Morris Minor sedan I'm thinking about putting on eBay but thought I'd ask the question first....gonna sell it & my Morris Minor convertible on eBay - I guess

...was thinking somebody might've converted one to a pickup since they actually made pickups back when

aeronca65t
04-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Here's a nice one with an interesting "Conestoga Cover"

http://www.classic-austin-morris.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photo_040.jpg

(also, one of the most well-known Minors in my area is Joe Curto's Morris Minor "SU Repair" Panel Van It's a replica of an original vehicle owned by SU (Joe is a well-known SU parts vendor in NY). There's has been pictures of his Van in "Classic Motorsport" and I have some print photos of it, but I don't see any photos of it at Joe's SU Repair website).

tony barnhill
04-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Guess it might be just as easy or easier to find an old pickup & restore it...&, that's what I wanted to do - make a "theAutoist" parts hauler!

Sherlock
04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Tony,

Re: Oxford van

I happen to know that Tom (in Ontario) has a soft spot for Morris Minor's. If you're up for a road trip some time (and if it's a fair swap, or swap +/- some cash thrown in either way) he might want a Minor again to tinker with. Just a bizarre thought that entered my mind... feel free to dis-regard if it comes across as being too zany graemlins/crazyeyes.gif I can't verify condition of the Oxford van much, but Tom is a straight-shooter and very honest to deal with.

tony barnhill
04-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Well, next summer I will be close on my trip to Nova Scotia

Sherlock
04-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Hmmm....

Interesting thought, I don't think that Oxford van is going anywhere anytime soon, and he could just keep storing it for another year (I'm sure that wouldn't be a big problem). All I've seen of the Oxford van are the portions of it that aren't under a cover, that's one reason why I can't really say much about it. But if you were serious about it he could probably pull it out of the shop now for a more detailed look. If you think it's worth even discussing I'd say run it by Tom and see what he even thinks.

And from what you've seen of the pictures, his place is certainly an interesting visit with lots of neat cars, he's always happy to show off his collection of stuff (and that MGB hiding behind the pair of Vanguard's is not for sale either! images/icons/grin.gif ). There will be a PM for you shortly, I'll pass along his phone number (likely a better contact method with him) but off-line.