PDA

View Full Version : UK trip.........LBC's spotted

Steve
02-11-2004, 08:35 AM
I know that one should expect to see LBCs in the UK, but when you are surrounded by modern Japanese and european econoboxes they really stand out. On Thursday at the NEC I saw of all things a Rolls Royce Corniche, followed on Friday in Wolverhampton by a Triumph Herald in powder blue, a Wolseley 1500 in sage green and a Morris Minor in white. Saturday saw an Austin A40 (Farina design) in burgundy, then on Monday in Beatties multi-storey car park there was an Austin Healey Sprite, and on the ring road, a green Morris Minor Traveller (woody).

XLY 245G
02-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Good spots Steve, I'm heading back to Blighty this afternoon for a couple of weeks, hoping to see some good cars! I'll be picking up my new car on Saturday to drive around in while I'm home, then get it ready to ship State side.

Mark graemlins/savewave.gif

aeronca65t
02-11-2004, 10:40 AM
It's interesting how there seems to be more Brit sports cars here than on the other side. When I was last in Ireland, I only saw one classic Brit sports car in 10 days (a chrome bumper MGB). I don't recall seeing any classic saloons. Endless Japanese cars, though.

catfood
02-11-2004, 03:59 PM
The reason you don't see so many classics on the road in good ol' blighty is probably two fold.

The first is that 'new' cars are (relative to the USA) are expensive. So families with working mothers (which are probably the majority in the UK) have to spend a large proportion of their income maintaining the two day to day tintops they need leaving little free money for classics.

The second is the weather and salted roads. Throughout the winter Britains roads are heavily salted so most owners keep their cars locked away until the weather improves. And when it does improve it's often only for short periods before the cars are hidden away again. So classics tend to be more 'special occasion' cars over here rather than everyday drivers.

Steve,

I assume you're back in the US now, hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I forgot to ask when you met me, how did the Meadows hunt go?

Cheers,

Steve
02-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Hiya Steve,

Yes, back Stateside once again, back to the cold and the snow. The Meadows enquiry drew a blank, unfortunately. I was rather hoping that someone like Coldplugs might have some snippet of information tucked away somewhere in the recesses of his memory, but it wasn't to be. images/icons/frown.gif

aeronca65t
02-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Steve:

What exact info were you looking for with repect to the Meadows engine?

Steve
02-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi Nial.....

The content of my original request was as follows:-

Back in 1933, Meadows in Wolverhampton made three engines for Invicta that were intended for a racing team, but it never came to fruition. They were twin overhead cam engines, rare for the time, and apparently they found their way into the posession of the late Harry Ellard.

They were not, however, included in the auction of his collection after he died, so they must have ended up somewhere in the intervening years.

If you or anyone else could help it would be greatly appreciated.

BEEJAY7
02-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Steve.

Didn't realise you were in the UK!.

Sorry I missed you.

Regards

Steve
02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Alan,

Likewise, sorry I missed you too. Unfortunately, only four days were available for seeing family and friends, most of which were taken up with visiting my wife's family so there would not have been an opportunity to meet up. I was fortunate in that Catfood lives close to the NEC where we were working for the first part of the stay in the UK, and we were able to meet one evening, otherwise there would have been no chance.

I would like to take my son over there in a year or two...perhaps then.