PDA

View Full Version : BSA Lightning/Thunderbolt values?

Simon TR4a
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
There are 3 BSAs advertised locally, either 1969 or 1971, so all unit construction, and I assume, Oil In Frame models.
I think the Lightnings have twin carbs, and are rarer than the single carb models, please let me know.
Prices are $4,000 to $5,900, which seems expensive compared with the Yamahas and Hondas for half that money.

Can anyone offer opinions?
Thanks, Simon.

Steve
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
As regards values, old Brit bikes are considered "classic" motorcycles, whereas Japanese iron, even of a similar vintage, will never be worth the same money, providing they are in similar condition.

davelgee
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
The 71 was the first OIF in the T'bolt/Lightning series, earlier bikes have the oil tanks behind the air cleaner(s).
I am a Thunderbolt fan, as they are about as fast as the Lightnings (and none of them are very fast by current standards) and a lot less trouble to keep in tune.
The Pre-71 bikes have more collector value, but the OIF is a better motorcycle and handles MUCH better IMHO.
Not much to choose from between the T'bolt/Lightning as far as rarity goes, Hornets and Spitfires are another matter.

Just my .02
Dave G.
71 Thunderbolt 'daily driver'