PDA

View Full Version : Sebring Alpine story

sunbeam74
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
We've started to have a monthly feature on the Sunbeam Alpine owners Club website. This month starts out with the Sebring Alpine which Steve Alcala is currently restoring.

http://www.saoca.org/Feature%20Stories/mainstory%207.pdf

Maybe someday the other 4 missing Alpines will turn up!

(one disappeared in Sarasota, Fl, the other Salt Lake City, UT, another in Walnut Creek, CA, and the last probably in Moneterey Park, CA)

Simon TR4a
03-15-2007, 07:30 AM
What a find!
And the part of the article describing the modification details is excellent.
Simon.

aeronca65t
03-16-2007, 07:10 AM
What a find!
And the part of the article describing the modification details is excellent...

+1

Despite the fact that I do not like the PDF format.

The name of the Morristown, New Jersey Rootes dealer (who originally owned the car) is familiar to me.
Do you know who owned the car in 2002, when it finally re-surfaced?

sunbeam74
03-16-2007, 08:28 AM
No, unfortunately, we do not know who owned the car from the late 60's to 2002. Scott Dietz, the second owner, was able to confirm was that he traded it to a man in New Jersey for the formula car in the late 60's.

I am always facinated when these cars - any historic car - looses it's identity. At what point does that happen? Clearly, Scott knew the car ran at Sebring but when it passed to the next owner's hands it became "just a car".

Sadly, this is the story of many of these small bore cars.
Once the history link is broken it is usually tough to put back together. The Alpine's are really tough since they look so stock - yes, they did have alloy panels on the hood, doors and trunk, but the SCCA banned the use of these panels. So, most of the time the aluminum panels would "Migrate" to other cars.

Steve

sunbeam74
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM
BTW< We added a Quicktime movie of the restoration progress.

http://www.saoca.org/ (look to the right of the page and it mentions click here for the movie)

It is a large file 75mb so it takes a bit to download. It isn't the greatest quality images but if I made the file smaller it was even worse!

Steve