PDA

View Full Version : Hard getting into 2nd

MrP
01-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Lately I've noticed its hard to get my Spit into 2nd gear when downshifting. It tends to grind the gears a bit unless I am going very slow. Does this sound like a transmission problem, or perhaps a clutch? (It does ok on upshifting).

MrP

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: MrP ]</p>

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey MrP -

Sounds like the 2nd gear synchronizer. If it does OK otherwise through the gears, and especially if it only is better when you're going slow (gear speeds are more in sync).

Mickey

Jon12
01-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Blip the throttle a bit when downshifting, if you give it the right amount it should slip right in and reduce stress on the syncros.

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Jon12 ]</p>

aeronca65t
01-14-2004, 12:27 AM
I agree with the comments above.
Obviously, if your syncros are worn, the only real solution is to rebuild the trans, but if you can live with it, you also may want to switch your trans oil to "Redline" brand trans oil. I have no experience with this stuff, but I've heard people say that it can make a useful difference with worn syncros.
Probably available at most speed shops or do a "google" search.

VitSport6
01-14-2004, 02:02 AM
Hi.
I had the same problem with my Sports 6, It turned out to be a $1.00 circlip that holds the 3rd gear set in place, But mine was when shifting into 2nd not the other way.
Just a thought.
Good luck.
graemlins/cheers.gif graemlins/thirsty.gif

philman
01-14-2004, 02:17 AM
i use redline transmission oil in my tr7 (now). it made shifting alot easier. they make a good synchro transmission oil that is compatible with atf fluids (cheaper than gm synchro mesh trans fluid), but I have been using 75-80 wt. no problems in cold weather or hot weather.

MrP
01-15-2004, 02:59 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by philman:
i use redline transmission oil in my tr7 (now). it made shifting alot easier. they make a good synchro transmission oil that is compatible with atf fluids (cheaper than gm synchro mesh trans fluid), but I have been using 75-80 wt. no problems in cold weather or hot weather.<hr></blockquote>

I wonder if something like that would helpl my 2nd gear problem? I'm also wondering how much it would cost to rebuild my gearbox of that is what is required? Anyone have any experiece with rebuilt gearboxes? images/icons/shocked.gif

MrP

britishcarfreak
01-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I had a similar problem on my 2500 S. It was always tricky to shift into 2nd. It felt a little like it wanted to ****** and scrape before slotting in. Like there was a little notch before it or something.

Sometimes it would feel like the stick wouldn't move and other times it slotted in real quick.

I had the whole thing rebuilt (supposedly) at huge expense (near $2000 AU) and the problem was still there.

After a huge engine upgrade (near 70% more HP than stock) the problem became even more apparent. One day when the box was cold I grabbed second too quickly and it crunched real bad. After that it crunched any time I went near second so I just drove the car without using second until I got it fixed.

Turned out that there was a bush on the gear shaft that was allowing the synchro to move around a bit - hence the unpredictable synchro - that day that I rushed it I actually busted the bush completely which resulted in no synchro on second.

Now that it's fixed I always double declutch. - and on upshift from 1st to 2nd I blip the throttle before slotting it in. It may not be any quicker but if you get it right you feel the box happily accept gear changes rather than slot and clunk through.

Hope some of that helps.