PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Painting TR7 Wheel Covers

KLUTZ
01-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Hello, all.
One of my projects this winter is to paint the origional wheel covers for my 78 TR7, which are, I guess Plastic.
What is the best way to prep them and prime and paint? Also, what kind of paint should I use?
I was going to post this in "Car Care," but no one seems to go there too often.
I am sure Basil will stick it where it belongs. images/icons/grin.gif

t-rocks69
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
not sure on the paint but i know there is a paint used for plastic try your automotive paint store they should be able to tell you what you need

Langelo DeMysterioso
01-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Don't laugh but when I was a kid we made model cars (really detailed stuff) we used to sand the plastic down with a very fine sand paper I forget the numbers but it was black (.00something) and then prime it and then paint and wet sand and paint again ( I told you they were detailed!) The paint we used was made by Testor's and came in a spray can. They still make paint today and it is available in hobby shops. I'm sure if you take in one of the wheel covers with you a chat with one of the paint people there will be very enlightening.

01-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Klutz,
I keep going back to Krylon (and that dastardly WalMart) but I noticed that they have a Krylon paint that is specific for plastic. If the color is not correct, at least you would have a good undercoating of paint that is designed to adhere to plastic. I really wouldn't sandpaper it as it would leave a texture, no matter how fine. Using a automotive scuff pad would work better if you feel the need to get a good grip on the surface. All other spray paints use fish oil as a base, which is crap. Krylon - no runs, no drips, no errors...
(Johnny Bench)

Bill

KLUTZ
01-13-2004, 12:47 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Langelo DeMysterioso:
Don't laugh but when I was a kid we made model cars (really detailed stuff) <hr></blockquote>

Don't you laugh, but I STILL make model corvettes. I don't drive them through water and sand and stuff on the road, but I doubt the Testers paint would hold up on the rims.
I am going to hit Walmart tomorow and see if they have what you mentioned, Bill. Getting the black crud off from the brake pads will be the first priority. I just need to find a solvent that won't melt the rims.
Thanks
Paul

philman
01-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Eastwood products, available online, sell a paint that is supposed to be the right silver for wheels. I haven't tried that color, but their rust encapsulator and frame black paints were satisfactory.

KLUTZ
01-13-2004, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by philman:
Eastwood products, available online, sell a paint that is supposed to be the right silver for wheels. I haven't tried that color, but their rust encapsulator and frame black paints were satisfactory.<hr></blockquote>

WOW... Thanks Philman.....
I emailed Eastwood this morning, told them what I was looking to do... I received back a response within an hour, from Tom, with exactly what I need, price, and a number to call to order. Price seeems good too especially with the closeness of our dollars now. ($1.28 to U.S. dollar).
For other's info. 100047 silver, and 16114Z primer.
images/icons/grin.gif

Langelo DeMysterioso
01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Just in case you mess up (we never do that) graemlins/cryin.gif
You can get new covers from Moss Motors(NFI) Part#071-894 at 9.95 a pop