PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR 6 purchase and TR3 questions

piman
01-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Hello BM90,

the headlight rings are normally secured by a small screw at the bottom. Remove that then ease it off from the bottom outward. The ring is hooked over a small lip on the top. No real force should be required.

Alec

graemlins/cheers.gif

sammyb
01-11-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm going to try a cover several questions with one post.
First, While looking for parts for my 61 TR3, I ran across a 72 TR6, rust free,new front The seller wants $1500.00 for this vehicle.

$1,500 sounds like a good asking price. If you can get it running and clean it up, you should be able to make $500-1000 fairly easily by putting it on Ebay.

Second question is: has anybody converted the positive ground TR3 to Negative.
I haven't personally done it, but it is very, very simple. The articles on VTR and such give the four or five steps. Just be careful, and don't touch your tongue to the generator or something!

One quick last question, How do you remove the chrome light rings from the front lights?

There are two types of light rings- wide and narrow. They snap off. You can try pushing in, turning and pulling back. Go on mossmotors.com and go into the TR3 catalog section, there will be a diagram of the headlight area. Basically, the rings all will pop-off over the lip underneath.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: sammyb ]</p>

Geo Hahn
01-11-2004, 10:33 PM
When I got my TR4 the PO had 'converted' it to negative ground by installing the battery backwards. Worked just fine (except the ammeter reading was reversed & the radio didn't work). After switching the battery back (and re-polarizing the dynamo to + ground) everything was okay -- even the old radio.

I assume you have a need for + ground such as modern stereo equipment.

As for the headlight rim... TR3s actually used 3 rim arrangements -- yours would have a snap fitting inside the bottom of the rim. I have always been able to yank that guy off with just a soft lever between the glass and the rim (I use a plastic 'orange stick') but that may only work because mine has been pulled enough that the connector has lost much of its snap.

Of course once you have it off the whole arrangment will be quite clear.

bluemiata90
01-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Thanks to everybody who replied to my questions. This web site is great. As for the purchasing of the TR6, I think I've got my neighbor to purchase it for the $1500.00 price tag. (Just added another person to the British car experience)I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.
As for the positive to negative change over. I'm sure I'll do it before I put in a new stereo system, but I'm not in any hurry.
As for the headlight rings, they are the type that do not have a screw in the bottom and it turned out the reason I could get them off was that the previous owner had used some kind of adhesive to hold them in place. I really don't know why, cause they seem to reattach very securely.
thanks again
scott

bluemiata90
01-12-2004, 04:30 AM
I'm going to try a cover several questions with one post.
First, While looking for parts for my 61 TR3, I ran across a 72 TR6, rust free,new front fenders, no rust on trailing arm mounts, surface rust on interior floors, fair interior and top, engine looks clean and well maintained, engine turns,but chokes are frozen open and the engine won't start. The seller wants $1500.00 for this vehicle. It's been a long time since I priced a TR6, Is this a good price for the car. My plan would be to get it running(doesn't seem like it would take alot) and sell it for a little profit, so I can put more money into my TR3. I know that this is a very subjective question, but a little advice might help me.
Second question is: has anybody converted the positive ground TR3 to Negative. I've read the article on how to do it and it doesn't sound to difficult, but from experience, has anyone run into problems with this convertion.
One quick last question, How do you remove the chrome light rings from the front lights? I've tried turning them and pulling them, but I haven't used a screwdriver to pry them off ( I don't want to bend or dent them) is there a trick to them or just plan muscle.
scott graemlins/driving.gif

MGTF1250Dave
01-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Aloha Scott,

My TR3A is converted to negative earth and I have not experienced any problems with gauges etc. I also converted a previously owned TR3A to negative earth so I could replace a radio and add an amplifier (to hear the radio over the road/engine noise). British Wiring sells a nicely printed "negative earth" label for $3 or $4 to remind you and possible future owners know it has been converted. As others have said, it is a very simple process. A friend of mine has replaced the generator with an alternator, but he is still building the car.

Safety Fast,
Dave