PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhausts

Langelo DeMysterioso
01-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Gentleman, I seem to remember that at one point "back in the days" either Ansa or Monza had a dual exhaust system for TR7. It had four tips. I almost bought one but the speed shop couldn't provide in time before I needed to pass inspection. However when I go surfing (some 15 years or so later) I can't seem to find any mention of it. Are there any still available someplace that I'm overlooking? I swear I saw one sticking out of the back of a wedgecar on Ebay but that was a couple of months ago. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

[ 01-08-2004: Message edited by: Langelo DeMysterioso ]</p>

Mark Beiser
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
TR8s have dual exhaust. I havn't seen a dual outlet exhaust for a TR7, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. images/icons/wink.gif

tr8Fan
01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the Monza or Ansa (preferrably Monza, don't want to blow the budget)dual exhaust for the TR8? Mine will be needing an exhaust pretty soon.....Thanks graemlins/thumbsup.gif

vagt6
01-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Try this link: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/

I ordered a replacement front baffle from them, received good service.

Hope this helps!

01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I have the 4 tip Monza exhaust on my '79 TR7. Sounds cool but it is very loud. Two resonators and no muffler. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the single dual tip Monza exhaust which is what I use to have on it.

Rob DeScherer
01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Langelo --
I have a TR6 with dual stainless steel exhaust with single tips. I could have had doubles, but I chose the singles. the system seems to be great quality, and the note has mellowed as the car has run and it is now very nice. I found this place in Canada on-line called Double S exhaust. They have each system made to order in England, and then trans ship through Canada. With shipping, my hole system from the header back was only $318.00. I am sure that they can come up with a system for your TR7.

Eric
01-09-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree Rob. I have a Double S system on my GT6, and it's well made, fit perfectly and is rorty without being painfully loud. Find them at http://www.commercial.net/vault/exhaust/

01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Fellas,
I realize this forum started out asking the question about duals on a TR7, but see that some have shared their setups on other TR's. I have a TR6 with dual stainless Falcon exhaust that originally came with single rear muffler and a long single tip. Light rumble but not enough for me. I cut the tip off near the muffler and had Stainless Specialties in Florida custom make some 2.5 X 6 inch oval tips that are about 12 inches long, had a good welder weld them onto the back of the muffler and got the sound I wanted. Let's call it brutish. Not as loud as the Monza's I once had (lasted one year, rusted out) but very nice hoarse baritone. And look really bitchen sticking out the back at a rake and with beveled tips. Just me.

Bill

Eric
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Mine looks stock (important for collector car insurance) - transverse box at the rear, twin pipes exiting at the right. I don't have a picture of it - right now it's lying on the garage floor waiting for the rebuilt diff to go in. Double S didn't have a sport system for GT6's, but I believe they do for TR's.

ObiRichKanobi
01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Does anyone know where I can find the Monza or Ansa (preferrably Monza, don't want to blow the budget)dual exhaust for the TR8? Mine will be needing an exhaust pretty soon.....Thanks <hr></blockquote>

It's my understanding that the TR8 Monza setup is basically two TR7s. There's one for a TR7 on Ebay right now for about $162...you might even be able to get a second one from the seller.

PS. I put the double-tipped Monza on my TR7 last summer and really like it. Not too loud, but has a nice deep rumble, especially when slowing down.

Langelo DeMysterioso
01-09-2004, 07:40 PM
REK, Can you tell me where you got them a link or a phone# or address? I'm sure this is what I saw graemlins/yesnod.gif ! I figured they were loud but I ran around for a year with a busted exhaust and my radio was shot. I never fixed the radio because the sound of the engine was music to me graemlins/devilgrin.gif ! And thanks guys for the Pacestter and Double S links and the suggestion of the Falcons. I knew that they were out there. You guys are Great!

Mark Beiser
01-09-2004, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ObiRichKanobi:
It's my understanding that the TR8 Monza setup is basically two TR7s.<hr></blockquote>

The right hand side would be like a mirror of the left side, so just getting 2 systems for a TR7 wouldn't work.

t-rocks69
01-10-2004, 02:28 AM
on my tr8 i have a dual exhaust starting from headers going in to 2 inch pipes an H pipe connector ending in supertrapp mufflers which are adjustable to decrease or increase back pressure.. nice rumble sound ...
troy

tr8Fan
01-10-2004, 04:30 AM
Eric or Rob,
Do you have any pics of the Double S exhaust on your car? I have enquired about the exhaust system on the website you provided and I'm interested in seeing pics of the exhaust installed.

Thanks,

Langelo DeMysterioso
01-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Mark, as I recall there is a Y pipe in the system somewhere to make it dual for TR7.

Alan Black
01-12-2004, 06:10 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ObiRichKanobi:

PS. I put the double-tipped Monza on my TR7 last summer and really like it. Not too loud, but has a nice deep rumble, especially when slowing down.<hr></blockquote>

I'm in the market for an exhaust since my front muffler has rusted out and my smog kis due in 6 weeks. How is the Monza lasting for you? I was dead set on the Monza, but after hearing reports about the rusting, I'm having second thoughts. On the other hand, I'm in CA, so rust isn't too much of an issue out here, so I figured I'd get as many opinions as I can.

Thanks...

Alan
'81 TR7 FI DHC
Sacramento, CA

vagt6
01-12-2004, 06:53 PM
If you're referring to the Pacesetter Monza system, I really like the way it looks on my GT6 and it's easy to install and adjust. BUT, it rusts terribly and is uncomfortably loud. Around town the noise is barely tolerable but on longer trips it's deafening, gives me and my passenger a headache after about 45 minutes.

I wheeled/sanded my rear baffles and end pipes down to bare metal last summer, primed and painted it carefully with rust-resistant paint products. It began to rust through in about 5 weeks. The rust problem is that moisture condenses on the inside AND outside. I figure its life expectancy is about 2 or 3 years at most here (I live in VA where summers can be relative moist).

Next time, I'm purchasing a stainless steel system for the reasons above.

Alan Black
01-12-2004, 07:08 PM
The noise isn't too much of a factor for me as I have been driving it with a completely blown muffler for about a year. Also, I added a Magnaflow to my truck and so I'm used to the louder systems. Like I said, I am really concerned about the lasting ability of the system once it's on my car. I tend to lose most of my exhausts through "inside-out" rust as it doesn't get driven much, so I want stainless for that, but the Monza seems to be more readily available which means the pricing is much more competitive. I know "you get what you pay for" but I feel the need to fully look at all the options.

Alan
'81 TR7 FI DHC
Sacramento, CA

ObiRichKanobi
01-13-2004, 12:52 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Like I said, I am really concerned about the lasting ability of the system once it's on my car. I tend to lose most of my exhausts through "inside-out" rust as it doesn't get driven much, so I want stainless for that, but the Monza seems to be more readily available which means the pricing is much more competitive. <hr></blockquote>

Since I just put the Monza on my car last year, I don't have any real input on it's "lasting ability." However, in the Vicky Brit Winter special catalog, they are listing a Falcon stainless steel exhaust for an 80-81 TR7 for $199.95. If my exhaust was ready to be replaces, that's what I'd get.