PDA

View Full Version : Repairing split in metal water pipe?

Wombat
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Well I decided that today is the day to start resurrecting my TC2500. The very first thing I did was to put some coolant in the radiator (the previous owner had drained the system years ago). There's a slow but steady drip coming from a metal water pipe. It's the pipe that goes backwards from the bottom of the water pump and runs between the exhaust manifold and the engine block. I can tell from using a little mirror that the leak is coming from a tiny split in the pipe's seam, about an inch back from the water pump connector. Is there an easy way to repair this leak, or will I have to find a new pipe? Thanks!

mike crane
01-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Wombat You should just replace it. It'll probably break if you attempt to take it off. Ask me how I know. I got a new one here in the states from one of the big three. They are not particularly expensive. The one I removed was completely packed with crud. I had a devil of a time getting it off. Good luck Mike '71 TR6

britishcarfreak
01-09-2004, 09:44 AM
They are a regular fail point.

My motor had a fresh one made up by a plumber from copper pipe as a replacement. Show it to someone and have them make you a replacement.

It has to be cheaper than ordering a real part from the UK.

Winston
01-10-2004, 04:42 AM
Wombat,
Really should replace or replicate part. I think I'd use stainless steel. If you know your plumber on a first name basis ask him over for some adult beverages and he'll have it on the truck.
Other wise the big three as mentioned befgore.

Winston 67 TR4A IRS