PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire starter

Zer
01-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Well after a weekend for the wife. Two trips to home depot- five starage shelves and one new 6 shelved storage closet, time to put the tools away, = (The spit is in the garage) not heated but not freezing inside either. The car has allways started on a few trys but because of the cold it was slow comming. My question is as I start the car the starter goes ok but then when you get the slightest combustion the starter goes Ziiiiiinnnnnggggg. Like it has missed. Not like my dads old car that would keep the starter ingauged a little longer. It is very hard to start in this situation as you are just about started and the started pulls out. Is this normal or is my starter just about done.
Question # 2 what would you replace it with , Moss part or some upgrade?
Question # 3 big job or small??

Thanks people.............Zer images/icons/confused.gif

Eric
01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
No, it's not supposed to do that. Your Bendix drive spring has fatigued. Yank the old starter off, and put in a rebuild - simple job, two bolts and one electrical connection. Call GCSC British Motors in Surrey - they'll have one in stock, I bet.

Zer
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks Eric. ZER graemlins/canpatriot.gif graemlins/cheers.gif

Zer
01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
They are on holidays untill Jan 13 images/icons/frown.gif Zer

Zer
01-07-2004, 08:23 PM
So I bought one off of E-bay "only in the car one month" For $ 51.50 U.S. or $66 ish Canadian.

Not bad EH !!!!!!!!!!!!! Zer graemlins/cheers.gif

Zer
01-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Just recieved my new (To Me) starter. Is it a good idea to try it before installing it? If so how would I go about doing that. Grab an extra car battery and hook it up?????? See Ya! Zer

Eric
01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
You can simply lay it on the floor, hook up jumper cables and see if it goes. HOWEVER - it will leap around with considerable violence, so be standing on it firmly or you'll break something - possibly you. images/icons/shocked.gif You'll also get a VERY healthy spark when you make the last connection. I'd hook up the battery, then the + to the starter electrical connection, then the - to the starter flange. Don't have anything flammable about, and don't do it too close to the battery. Sounds scary, but you only need a very brief blast to confirm that it goes.

On the other hand, once the valences are out of the way, it's a very simple job to swap it out and test it in the car. Not as exciting, 'tho....

Zer
01-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Again Eric............ Thanks, Derek<Zer>

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: Zer ]</p>

78Z
01-20-2004, 03:13 PM
I know places like Parts Source will test it for free.