PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 TR 250 thrust washers

gjh2007
01-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Anyone out there got the lowdown on inspecting & replacing the thrust washers, I understand they can fall into the pan & you start wearing away at the block & have heap big trouble??

[ 01-04-2004: Message edited by: gjh ]

[ 01-04-2004: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>

Bob Buxbaum
01-05-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm guessing you are talking about your TR250 images/icons/confused.gif . That's basically the same engine as the 2 liter GT6, which I have rebuilt about 2 years ago. There are thrust washers in there, and you are correct in that they will fail and flop into the pan. The shop manual is fairly clear on how to set them up. I actually used different thrust bearing from two diferent size sets to achieve the correct play.

You WILL need a run our gauge set to carefully check the end play. If you clear out the cooling system you have enough area to check it in the car. Just leave the harmonic balancer in place so you can pull and push on the crank to get your figures. If it's excessive you'll probably need to yank the engine in order to pull the crank (with the rods stil in place) in order to completely check for wear and damage.

SOrry to sound like doom and gloom. Better than a wiper out engine form floating metal and a distroyed crank and/or block from a floating crank.

aeronca65t
01-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I agree with Bob...don't let it go too long.
My 1500 Spridget racer (with a Triumph-based 1500 engine that has similar thrust washers) gets new ones about every two years or sooner (I'd do it every 50,000 on a street car).
Good info on this topic here:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/thrust-washers.html