PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 TR250 Trans rebuild

gjh2007
01-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Prob looking at rebuilding my TR250 tranny, it has a hard time going into 2 & jumps out, plus it does seem to whine a bit. I spoke to Quantum Mechanics in CT. & they seem very reasonable. Has anyone had any dealing with them?

Does anyone have any recomendation for a good tranny shop close to the Boston area?

[ 01-03-2004: Message edited by: gjh ]</p>

01-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Gary,
The Roadster Factory did the rebuild on my 4-speed TR6 tranny, had a small glitch pop up 13 months later, they rebuilt it completely again at no charge. Great job, no complaints whatsoever. I had no overdrive sorry to say.
Finally got tired of cruising at 3500 rpm on the highway, pulled it again and as we speak, it is on the way to Quantum Mechanics. Should arive Monday. TRF had no overdrives available. John Esposito came highly recommended and specializes in overdrives. If you only had a 4-speed, we could have made a helluva deal, mine was rebuilt last about 6 months ago!

Bill

gjh2007
01-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Bill:

Spent 2 hrs chewing the fat with a shop that does only LBC's in NH today. Picking their brains about local mechanics, especially tranny & they also highly recoment Quantum Mech. I spoke to John last week & he sounds like he's realy good & reasonable too.

p.s why the comment about a **** of a deal; would you have purchased a complete trans & od instead of sending yours in for the od option??

Timing is everything.

let us know how your tranny turns out.

01-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Gary,
The comment was legit, but timing is off. I had actually talked with Vinco down in Fla about the same deal and he had a tranny w/ overdrive already rebuilt that would have been cost effective and quick for me to unload my setup at half price (about 5 or less). Didn't work out though. I have already committed to John Esposito. I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting it on the market and have to convince the buyer that it was a good deal and all. I am the kind of guy that will clean the house before the maid comes over. Sorry to get your hopes up.....

Bill

gjh2007
01-04-2004, 05:40 PM
No problem, I could kinda tell that you had already sent yours off, I've got time, since I'm not going anywhere with the car till spring; plus with Christmas bills & all, not a good time to be spending any cash!

Just spent some of my Christmas money on the Bentley manual & TR250/6 Resto book for some lite reading on the train to Boston.

vagt6
01-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Sorry to rock the "Quantumechanics" boat, but I had a rather bad experience with that company on my GT6 J-type "conversion kit" (advertised to contain all needed parts for a successful conversion), purchased/installed last December.

The J-type "kit" contained a number of incorrect parts including a totally wrong wiring harness, no mount adapter (a crucial part) and other problems. And, the transmission does not work properly. When I asked for reimbursement from the owner, I received an "I'm sorry".

That was my personal experience, however, I haven't seen other bad reports with this company.

Maybe you'll be luckier. . .

Rick O.
01-05-2004, 01:30 PM
I purchased a complete 'A' O/D from Quantum Mechanics 2 years ago and remain pleased with it. The only complaint I had was that John did not mention that a non-original mount had been welded to it to make it fit my TR6. If you buy from John, make sure you know what you are getting and follow his warranty requirements to the letter (e.g., use only ND 30W motor oil in the O/D).

Rick O.