PDA

View Full Version : Aargh -AN fittings are driving me nuts

01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm trying to make two fuel lines with -6AN fittings. One is short - 10" long with two 90degree ends, the other is longer - about 60" with one straight and one 90 degree fitting.

No biggie you'd think. Except I've sheared off 4 (count them 4) fittings this afternoon. I've given up in frustration. It'd be cheaper to get them made at this rate...

Aaargh.

Grantura_MKI
01-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Sorry to hear that...sounds like a rather expensive day in the work shop? Try it again on Monday and it might go better for you.
Cheers, David.

WhatsThatNoise
01-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Are you using enough "slip juice".

I only use the ends (male) that have hex flats for tightening.

Some of the el-cheapo ones require you to turn the 90 by hand rather than by spanner.

I watched a guy have a full out, psychotic episode after breaking ONE. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm using the Russell hose end fittings with Russell stainless braided hose. It sounds stupid I know, but I've convinced myself it's because it's cold out there. I've not had any trouble doing exactly the same thing in the past.

Given that I've wasted close to $60 worth of fittings, I'm going to get the two hoses made (for an all up cost of about $60) rather than order more and possibly screw it up again...